Frigoboat Refrigeration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Giggitoni

Guru
Vessel Name
Mahalo Moi
Vessel Make
1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
My 33-year old coldplate refrigeration system by Grunert needs to be replaced. I’m throwing way too much good money at it every year and am not getting positive returns.

Recently, I was talking to a marine refrigeration technician, and he recommended Frigoboat systems. It involves removing the Grunert system and retrofitting their system. I can use my existing cold box and cabinetry. A plus!

The Grunert systems requires 120 VAC and the Frigoboat, that I’m considering, uses 12 VDC. Another plus, in my mind.

Also, since the Frigoboat system is air cooled, I can seal up one of many through hulls on the boat.

Thoughts? Experience with Frigoboat?

I have a Frigoboat system. Two compressors and two separate compartments that I can use either as fridge or freezer. They seem very efficient with the variable speed compressors. I’m happy.

This system was already on the boat when I bought it. The boat is 12 years old and I’ve owned it 4 years.

Last edited:
One big joy of a eutetic system is the ability to use a large compressor and pull the system temperature down very rapidly .This is great for sailors that prefer silence so an hour a day to keep frozen foods seems reasonable.

With lots of time a much smaller DC unit , or an AC unit also will freeze the eutetic solution (usually salt water) to below its freezing point.

If you will be engine or solar powering a DC setup should be fine , but if you use your noisemaker often the AC compressor could easily be 4-5 times larger , requiring less run time.

The eutetic advantage is the silence while operating , not the amount of power it requires .

If the plates are removed the box interior will be larger , and use no more energy as the surface area of the box exterior and insulation are unchanged .

Depending on the system chosen , dead batteries could result.

Yes, get rid of that 33 year old Grunert, go air cooled 12 v and never look back !

If the compressor unit is in the ER, lack of cool air for the heat exchange process is a problem while water supply for heat exchange is just the other side of the hull.
When onboard and running the compressor, I run the ER exhaust fan located right above the compressor;when away from the boat I support the ER entry hatch open 2", allowing hot air to rise out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom