Another Washington State Tax on Boaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yet another reason to avoid Washington state. For out of state cruisers, this is a pure money grab for absolutely zero effect to prevent the problem it proclaims to be directed toward. "It's not important to check your vessel for invasive species, just lighten your wallet in the name there of".

Ted

Aimed at trailer boaters, largely at fishermen. Texas wishes they'd had such a law. However, the fee isn't going to prevent it unless they use it to pay for inspectors before launch.

The acronym further emphasizes the lack of understanding of the boating world - AIS means something very specific and very different to most of us who boat in western Washington waters...

AIS PREVENTION PERMIT

Sounds like the state is trying to prevent you from using AIS (as in Automatic Identification System)...in isolation most boaters would not understand that this is referencing Aquatic Invasive Species.

Washington is a spendy state! I used to live there. While Arizona and Washington are similar in population, (7 mill and 7.4 mill) the State of Washington has a budget that is better than double per person.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_budgets

Combine that with high property taxes that are not a state thing for the most part, it is spendy to live there.

With a lot of boats in Washington, (almost a quarter million) it makes for a good revenue stream for the government.
https://www.tripsavvy.com/arizona-boats-per-capita-2682271

Beside the optics are good. Rich boaters! Let's tax them!

Out of state boaters registration by a different name. They exist here in NH and perhaps other NE states for fresh water craft. This is on top of any local state park launch fees, those however did have someone hired to inspect the boat for any invasive species so at least it was justified.

[Playing Devils Advocate] One could see the other side of the argument. It is the local community (State and Municipality) which are burdened with the impact of invasive foreign species which were brought in by the same 'outsiders' who are now paying fees through permits. Technically, everyone is paying as the state is charging residents through registration fees. Whom should be burdened with paying for the cost of mitigation and prevention?

They don't appear to completely reject foreign boaters. Notice that the neighboring states are exempt.

The argument is like complaining about poor road conditions, then once the roads are fixed, complaining about fuel taxes and tolls.

Just trying to see both sides of it here.

Think Pairadice is exempt, since she is registered in Oregon. But ya, another govt revenue.
Good thing we are heading south this year, but I’m sure as we pass through Calif. we will get nailed on something.

I would assume a percentage of the revenue goes toward the program. It’s a good idea since the boats are the ones who usually bring in the invasive species in the waterways. I grew up in New England and spend part of my summers there. You should see what milfoil has done to some pristine lakes. Look at some of the Great Lakes, they have, what 20 plus invasive species?

Please don’t make this a tax thread. Let’s talk invasive species and how to manage them.

It's good to see that one state is trying to do something about the problem of invasive species. It may not be the best solution but better than completely ignoring the problem.

For the last 10 years Arizona has been on that bandwagon.

Arizona Invasive Species 10 Most UNWanted Plants & Animals | Arizona Wildlife News

There isn't a fee. AZ Game and Fish notify boaters annually at tag renewal. In the past they have published flyers to pass out at popular boat ramps. And have given seminars from time to time. Usually present at boat shows however I have not gone to a boat show recently.

Aimed at trailer boaters, largely at fishermen. Texas wishes they'd had such a law. However, the fee isn't going to prevent it unless they use it to pay for inspectors before launch.

Fine, so exempt boats that are cruising through. Clearly this is a revenue grab on those that have no vote.

Ted

I would assume a percentage of the revenue goes toward the program. It’s a good idea since the boats are the ones who usually bring in the invasive species in the waterways. I grew up in New England and spend part of my summers there. You should see what milfoil has done to some pristine lakes. Look at some of the Great Lakes, they have, what 20 plus invasive species?

Please don’t make this a tax thread. Let’s talk invasive species and how to manage them.

When you say invasive species, are you referring to the state legislature?

Maybe it's time for Florida to institute a recreational shipwreck removal permit where we charge visitors a fee to help remove boat remains that came from outside the state. I'm pretty sure Floridians are already paying the fee in their boat registration. ;)

It's my understanding that many of the Great Lakes invasive species arrived on commercial ships from other countries.

Ted

Florida and Washington are state income tax free I believe- so they get their revenue from other sources.

I boated out in Anacortes one summer. Rules Rules Rules!
Stick to Bahamas and Florida plus East coast.

Clearly a money grab.

If there's an issue, take money from the state coffers and solve the problems. Everyone benefits, everyone should pay.

Glad I'm not on the left coast.

Yes, it’s a money grab. Washington State is the king of dreaming up permit fees. You only see the ones that directly affect you. You would be shocked about all the fees you pay that are rolled into your normal bills. I have to pay a fee to have my apartments inspected for running water and locking doors. Do you really think some one would pay $2,000 for a one bedroom apartment that didn’t have running water and locking doors. It’s ok, I just pass the cost on to the tenant. Now they want us to buy a permit to drive on Seattle streets. You can bet they will dream up more fees tomorrow.

My guess is it will start out as a launch ramp issue, particularly at state parks where state employees can monitor. Feds don't appear interested in this taxation issue so far for coastal cruisers.

When you say invasive species, are you referring to the state legislature?

It's my understanding that many of the Great Lakes invasive species arrived on commercial ships from other countries.

Ted

:thumb: Exactly.
In salt water, the cause is big ships bringing in ballast water in one place and then dumping it in another.

For several years boats going on I-90 from WA to ID have to exit at the first point of entry into ID to have their boat inspected. No charge, only takes about 5 minutes, and ensures no invasive species are brought into ID.

"Washington State is the king of dreaming up permit fees."
If only you knew. Several years ago voters in WA passed an initiative that mandated $30 license fees. It reduced our outrageous several hundred dollar fees. But then the King of Dreaming Up Permit Fees now adds on an assortment of fees and my car (2005 year) now is up to $85.

What our legislative wonders in Olympia need to do is learn how to reduce spending and live within their budget like the rest of us do.

Jeez you guys are on a rant today!

So here is my take on this.. and I'm not usually known as the voice of reason!

The invasive species thing is a MASSIVE issue, I trailered our Comp ski boat to Lake Powell by way of Denver Co. two years ago.. I had to stop and get the boat/trailer inspected at least a half dozen times EACH way!. It was a huge P.I.T.A. for sure.. but if it actually helps i'm ok with it. They actually put a wire tie on at one inspection station and again on the trip home to make sure I didnt sneak it on some lake somewhere in between.

I think I actually finally made my frustration be known when I had to stand outside for 15 minutes in a freaking blizzard , I told the inspector I would have to be FN crazy to launch a comp ski boat in a snow storm.. why do I have to stand out here and freeze my balls off.. are you people nuts?? he told me "have a nice day' and went back inside!

My point is that it IS a problem and it does cost to have boats inspected and "decontaminated " as required at some places.. so we as boaters get to pony up. It shouldn't be paid for out of the general fund.. why should non boaters pay for it??.

Some places require boats that have been used in known mussel places to be dry 30 days before launching.

Read the Waggoner publication, its not geared to big salt water or non trailerable boats.

HOLLYWOOD

Last edited:
Clearly a money grab.

If there's an issue, take money from the state coffers and solve the problems. Everyone benefits, everyone should pay.

The citizens of the entire state (most of whom are non-boaters) pay for the mitigation and prevention of an invasive species brought in by residents from out of state?

I don't see this as a 'money grab' at all.

Trailer boats are the target, and as mentioned for good reason. Also, the import of these invasive species from the head waters of the Columbia should be monitored - Canada.

Last edited:
BC and Alberta (and probably Yukon) work with neighboring states on this issue. Zebra mussels are one of the biggest concerns and their presence in a hydro power generation system wreaks havoc. We have check stations up here along highways to try to prevent this. Not sure where the funds come from to support the effort.

mussels.jpg

A map of just the mussels infestation in the US. 15 lakes and 5 river basins in Texas are fully infested. The only way it got to those lakes was through trailer boats, primarily used by fishermen.

View attachment 88105

A map of just the mussels infestation in the US. 15 lakes and 5 river basins in Texas are fully infested. The only way it got to those lakes was through trailer boats, primarily used by fishermen.

Actually, birds have transported the mussel spawn on their webbed feet. There are several invasive species that have been moved in that way. It's also the explanation of how fertile fish eggs get moved to an otherwise fishless body of water. Not meaning to diminish the importance of preventing invasive species being transported by trailered boats.

Ted

This is big issue in some places. In others that ship has already sailed (e.g. Lake Michigan).

In NV, you must dry your boat before you leave the ramp. If they see you pulling a wet boat, the boat can be impounded. At Lake Mead there is an inspection and cleaning station to remove the AIS from your boat. I have never seen it open though.

At Lake George, NY any boat coming from elsewhere must be inspected and if necessary cleaned before it can be launched into Lake George. After inspection the boat is actually sealed to the trailer so they can see if it has been launched after cleaning. The inspection and cleaning is run by the state of NY and is free. The only problem is that you may have to wait in line.

The permit thing is pretty bogus. Just because you have a permit, doesn't mean you are doing anything to prevent AIS transfer. A better system IMO would be a mandatory inspection at the state border. Boaters would pay the fee for the inspection and possible cleaning. At least the state would actually be doing something to prevent the problem.

This is big issue in some places. In others that ship has already sailed (e.g. Lake Michigan).

The Asian Carp battle is still being waged for Lake Michigan (and all of the Great Lakes). It is not yet lost. The locks in Chicago that lead to the river system are the greatest threat and must be permanently closed. That threat to all of the Great Lakes has dire consequences. But don't tell that to the looper community. And don't tell it to Chicago and Illinois who have been fighting to keep the locks operational. They had an allie in Obama. One hopes that the current President sees the issue for what it is...a catastrophe in the making.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom