Perkins 6.354 exhaust elbow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Egregious

Guru
Vessel Name
Polly P.
Vessel Make
Monk 36
I'm having the exhaust elbow replaced and the mechanic says that Perkins doesn't make that part any more and he can't find a replacement.* What to do is take it off and send it off to have one fabricated out of stainless.*

Anyone know of a 3rd party vendor that sells a replacement elbow?* I assume he would have called Transatlantic but I didn't ask him during our converstation.

Thanks

Woody

Thanks, and I did send them my engine S/N to see if they have one that fits, just to cover all my bases.* They have replied with an illustration of the one they had for my S/N but it looks different than the one I have.**I replied back with the best photo I have of the current exhaust manifold/elbow.* Wish me luck.

Attachments

• elbow.jpg
    elbow.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 980
Egregious wrote:
Thanks, and I did send them my engine S/N to see if they have one that fits, just to cover all my bases.* They have replied with an illustration of the one they had for my S/N but it looks different than the one I have.**I replied back with the best photo I have of the current exhaust manifold/elbow.* Wish me luck.
*Very different looking setup than I'm used to. *Totally different cooler than mine. *What year and looks like an n/a engine??

If it's an N/A, I covered the US and Canada looking for elbows and manifolds, no luck!! *MESA marine is the place to go.*

Those T6.354 elbows are in fact very simple. It least for late 1960 engines.

On my previous boat i salvaged the "bell"*part that clamps on to the turbo. *Cut off the rest. Got hold of a few feet of stainless 3" tubing,*and a*90 degree to match. MIG welded it all together.*Hammered the end of a 3.5" tube down to 3" and welded that on*for water injector/shower head. Drilled a hole in the 3.5" and welded in a stainless hose barb for sea water exiting the exhaust manifold.
About five or six years ago now. Still working OK.

I have an unrelated question: Where did you get the drain petcock for your fresh water tank? I have a big iron plug and I hate it. I'd love to get a valve for it.

Take out the big iron plug and put in a nipple and then add a good (SS for me) )ball valve. I have many of these on my various tanks. I also have a plug after the "unused" valve to prevent unintended leaks.

Edelweiss wrote:Egregious wrote:
*Very different looking setup than I'm used to. *Totally different cooler than mine. *What year and looks like an n/a engine??

If it's an N/A, I covered the US and Canada looking for elbows and manifolds, no luck!! *MESA marine is the place to go.*

*It is N/A manufactured in 1984 in England, according to the S/N.* Once I sent the photo TAD offered me a stainless and an aluminum one.* For a couple hundred more I got the stainless one since I've only heard that aluminum would fail very quickly (thanks Trawlerforum).* The mechanic said aluminum would last about as long as "a snowball in Hell."

Egregious wrote:
It is N/A manufactured in 1984 in England, according to the S/N.* Once I sent the photo TAD offered me a stainless and an aluminum one.* For a couple hundred more I got the stainless one since I've only heard that aluminum would fail very quickly (thanks Trawlerforum).* The mechanic said aluminum would last about as long as "a snowball in Hell."
*OK, later model. . . that is the difference. *Your lucky they are available and stainless was a good choice. The older 6'354 engine manifolds for NA's are no longer available from Perkins. *Custom built stainless is the best option. *

Edelweiss wrote:Egregious wrote:
It is N/A manufactured in 1984 in England, according to the S/N.* Once I sent the photo TAD offered me a stainless and an aluminum one.* For a couple hundred more I got the stainless one since I've only heard that aluminum would fail very quickly (thanks Trawlerforum).* The mechanic said aluminum would last about as long as "a snowball in Hell."
*OK, later model. . . that is the difference. *Your lucky they are available and stainless was a good choice. The older 6'354 engine manifolds for NA's are no longer available from Perkins. *Custom built stainless is the best option. *

*Not too long ago...I went on a North American search for both the elbows and wet manifolds for my two 6.354's (NA) and just about drove myself crazy and a lot of other people as well.... *I ended up buying two sets from MESA.... *according to Mark there...they should last just about forever. *I just hope he's right!

Back
Top Bottom