Steel Trawler Restoration on YouTube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LowNSlow77

Vessel Make
Tollycraft 34 Sundeck
I have been watching a YouTube series about a fellow who bought a cheap steel Trawler and is doing the restoration work on his own. I guess if you can weld, a steel boat can be redone almost anywhere in very basic conditions. Thought it might be interesting to others.

https://youtu.be/w954lDdKm8E

Just watched the video, saw it is the first of a series.
The laid back but fortunately well spoken new boat owner wears a "Dangar Marine" T-shirt. Dangar Island is located on the Hawkesbury River north of Sydney, we pass it every time we leave and return to our marina. The background pics are unmistakably Hawkesbury River. The island is essentially residential,I`m unaware of any marine business there but whatever, it looks an interesting tale and I see the next vid is about prepping the boat to be hauled at Fenwicks Marina which has good haulout (or "slipping" as we say) facilities in Brooklyn, with ample sealed hardstand. The Fenwick family has long been associated with heavy tugs and towing,and has a good reputation.

This is so timely for me. I am going to look at a steel trawler this week.

Thanks for posting! I will be watching with keen interest.

Liz

As a welder I’m always attracted to metal boats. And I pick mine up on Monday! One thing I’m thinking about a lot, as we will not have dock access with shore power, is how I can weld on board. I’m thinking that I need to either get a chubby genset or somehow rig one of my main engines to become a genset that can push 10k or so watts.
One thing I’ve noticed on other metal boats I’ve owned is a curious phenomenon where engine noise travels through water and transduces through the hull creating a strange sounds. It’s quite strong and can be noticed even from boats up to a mile away!

As a welder I’m always attracted to metal boats. And I pick mine up on Monday! One thing I’m thinking about a lot, as we will not have dock access with shore power, is how I can weld on board. I’m thinking that I need to either get a chubby genset or somehow rig one of my main engines to become a genset that can push 10k or so watts.
One thing I’ve noticed on other metal boats I’ve owned is a curious phenomenon where engine noise travels through water and transduces through the hull creating a strange sounds. It’s quite strong and can be noticed even from boats up to a mile away!

Give us some info, details and pics of your new boat...

This is the boat I am going to see. 1973, 39', 4 cyl Perkins single diesel, steel hull.

Attachments

• boat.JPG
    boat.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 127
Danger Marine is a really good series. This guy is the bomb. Does his own work, mostly by himself. Not afraid to get dirty. Convinced me not to ever get into a total restoration !
Lady Dew Build is a George Buehler steel trawler.
Project Brupeg is an Australian fishing boat rebuild.
All on YouTube.
All above my skill set...

Was in salt for awhile. I'm waiting for the last survey which was when he bought it 10 years ago. Then I'm going to drive 4 hours to see it.

12 ft beam. See new photos. YouTube series will be invaluable.

Attachments

• ad_1556251857337.jpg
    ad_1556251857337.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 125
  • ad_1556251843072.jpg
    ad_1556251843072.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Danger Marine is a really good series. This guy is the bomb. Does his own work, mostly by himself. Not afraid to get dirty.

Yeah I have looked at other build series on YouTube but I really enjoy the dangar marine videos.

Yeah I have looked at other build series on YouTube but I really enjoy the dangar marine videos.

Interesting set of videos. Must be nice to have nothing much else to do but work on your boat. Lots and lots of work though.

You might want to Google "Zena Welders" and look at their engine driven welders. I'm not a welder, but have been using their DC power generators on my bought for years.
Tator

Greetings!
What you describe is quite common on most boats , but perhaps more evident in metal (steel / aluminium) hulls. (Ulysses had to be tied to the main mast of his boat to prevent him from getting enchanted by the songs of the sirens *)

(*) today we know that the songs of the "sirens" are made by whales

BTW: I follow "Dangar marine" Youtube channel, as well as two more: Project Brupeg (Aus) and SV Seeker´s (USA) all 3 are about working on metal boats

Last edited:
Not to be a downer, but you have to be careful of galvanic corrosion with metal boats. I recall the former editor of Yachting magazine, Mary something, had to scrap her steel boat because the steel plates were so badly corroded.

.. and speaking about anodes, my boat gets on the hard in two weeks or so.
Galvanic corrosion is an issue!

Won't a good survey state whether it is just a nicely painted rustbucket?

Danger Marine has produced many videos and they are very informational. This series on the steel trawler is just one series of many.

Danger Marine has produced many videos and they are very informational. This series on the steel trawler is just one series of many.
Guys,fwiw,it`s "Dangar" not "Danger". It`s the name of an island in the tidal Hawkesbury River,about 50km N of Sydney. I`m guessing the guy lives on the island, seems he moors the boat in Parsley Bay, at Brooklyn. He has an interesting dry Aussie sense of humour. People on the island commute by their own boat or a regular ferry to Brooklyn. About the only enterprise I know of on the island is a communally run cafe, and a lawn bowling club open irregular hours.
Though the haulout and hardstand places were both in Sandbrook Inlet, Brooklyn,where there are about 5 marinas. We berth at one of them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom