Trawler Forum

Trawler Forum (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/)
-   Marlow - Mainship (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s11/)
-   -   Suggestions and informations for a potential future owner (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s11/suggestions-informations-potential-future-owner-4416.html)

Davide 10-12-2011 01:29 PM

Suggestions and informations for a potential future owner

Dear all,

I'm on the*search of a new boat and one of the option is*the new*Mainship 395. Would to have some information from you, because I'm not*100% sure it will be the right one for me and have no experience about that shipyard. I really like trawlers and the new 395 at all, but I want to be sure it isn't a "house boat".*I will use it in the Mediterranean and I want a boat which can manage even rough sea and it's made for an active cruising. Space is important for me, but having a reliable boat with almost every weather and sea is more important to me.

I don't want to make unpolite questions for a Mainship forum(!); just don't have many informations about this boat.
Thank you for any help and suggestion. Davide, Italy

Moonstruck 10-12-2011 03:19 PM

RE: Suggestions and informations for a potential future owner

Davide,

Welcome to the forum. You will get good advice here.* I think you need to tell us a little more about your cruising style.* If you are mostly cruising close to home or passagemaking will make a big difference.

From what I know about the Med, this may not be such a good selection.* Mainships are a good boat for the money, but are coastal cruisers with occasional offshore runs.* I have had one, but don't think I would like it for cruiising distances in the Med.* I have been on a 400' ship there that was taking* good beating.

There will be other opinions, but I think a full displacement passagemaker would work very well.**A very robust planing hull with plenty of power could work if you are not concerned about fuel costs.

What area in Italy will you be boating?

johnma 10-12-2011 07:30 PM

RE: Suggestions and informations for a potential future owner

Davide,

I own a 2003 390 Mainship which is very similar to the 395. As Don said they make a very good coastal cruiser and you get a lot of boat for the money. I have had mine in 2 meter seas several times, but it is very uncomfortable as the boat is a bit top heavy. Most "trawlers" of this style are.

I spent close to a year in the Med when I was in the navy and was amazed when we went past Gibralter to see absolutly flat water with not even a ripple; while three weeks later we were in 10-12 meter seas with hurricaine force winds that ripped our life boats off and damaged the ship.

If you're cruising the Greek Islands or a similar area in settled weather it might be a good choice, but if you're looking for a boat to use for extended off shore cruising, i would look at something like a Krogan.

Good Luck

John