30 Pilot II cruising fuel flow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgano

Guru
Vessel Name
FROLIC
Vessel Make
Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I have been messing about with my Floscan to get some information about how much fuel is running through my primary filters.

My Floscan has a setting which allows me to directly read its two paddle wheel metering units to see how much fuel is flowing into the engine and what is being returned to the tanks. This has implications for whatever primary fuel filters you may have. I like to run the boat at 2800-3000 RPM up on step getting about 16 MPH with the Floscan, reading the difference between the input and output fuel flow, showing around 8 GPH. When I set the unit to read each flow metering unit directly, the input units shows me the TOTAL fuel flow through my primary filters which is a pair of switchable Racor 500s. I can run both simultaneously or just one at a time – I run them one at a time. I have always liked to run 2-micron filters to save having to change the more difficult and expensive engine-mounted filter. So at around 2900 RPM the input meter registers 19-plus gallons per hour, and the return meter registers about 11. So there you have it, this boat at that speed is “polishing” its fuel back to the tanks at 11 GPH and is cleaning 19 GPH total.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom