New Guy looking old boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmudad206

Hello all, I am in Virginia and looking a a 1973 Pearson Motor Yacht. The boat was renovated in 2006. Gas engines, generator and tanks were removed and new John Deere Diesels and tanks installed. No generator and no AC. The couple that owned it wanted to anchor out and not run a generator so they installed a battery farm and solar panels. Part of the plan would be to remove the battery farm that is not running the engines and the big solar panels. If I can get it for the right price I would install a diesel generator and ac unit. Part of the challenge will be the duct work for AC. In later versions of the boat that I have seen online AC was installed so I am looking for drawings and or advice about installing the AC. I am also looking to renovate the inside and do away with the radar stack on top and replace it with a stainless steel radar arch if it won’t screw up the electronics. This all would be over the next couple of years. Looking for advice, suggestions, old docs about the boat or maybe someone can point me to actual build docs if there is an archive. I am also interested if your advice is to run away. The hull was cleaned and repainted, engines replaced so the outside is done. Thanks for reading and I look forward to info.

Welcome aboard. Maybe post some photos so we can see what you are dealing with.

1973 Pearson motor yacht

Welcome aboard. Maybe post some photos so we can see what you are dealing with.

Yes sir, that I should the plan. Going back Wednesday to look at it with all friend. I will take pictures. If anybody has a Pearson motor yacht 43 and has pictures that would be great. Thanks again!

Welcome and Good luck with your decision.
Just wondering, why you want to remove the solar and "larger" battery bank? There are alot of people on this site that have gone the exact opposite and installed same.
I have solar (new install last year) on my trawler and think it is great! Quiet, very little maintenance, and "free" power. Having a larger bank allows a smaller depth of discharge, and therefore (if recharged properly) potentially a longer overall battery life. Last summer, even as far north as the Alaska border, my solar panels recharged my batteries to 100% (absolutely fully charged) on most days. I only ran my generator occasionally for heating the water or when there was thick fog.
Anyway, each to their own, good luck,
Tom

Pearson motor yacht 43

Thanks, there are 3 solar panels on top which takes up most of the space. Unless I can figure out a way to lower them when people want to go up. It’s still a plan in process. I think the battery bank was just for lights and refrigerator. You have a great point but the way the panels are currently attached they are in the way. Wednesday I will take some pictures, maybe underway I have the panels out and then in port with shore power I fold them down or figure out a way to move them outside the handrails that may work. If I do get it I plan to use it this season and figuring out what stays and what goes! Thanks for the input and please offer suggestions once you see the pictures.

Seems a backward step to lose a good solar set up and increased battery capacity. Is there no way around that? Perhaps post the online advert link (if there is one) so members can provide better input.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Wise plan to live with the boat for a while BEFORE making any changes. I am also looking forward to pictures...

Looking forward to photos. New JD diesels and new tanks are, as you may be aware, a very desirable feature set in any boat. This cost someone a LOT of money.

Looks like a formidable project.

I generally run from big projects, especially over time. They just don't seem to work out well, and often one is better off with buying a boat that's closer to what we want to end up with.

However, some folks like to tinker forever. Some folks like to boat. I prefer to boat.

Now, if it's an absolute KILLER price it could be just fine. However, I could argue that the price needs to be low enough so you can hire all the work done and end up way below retail. You need to be in that position or it just aint worth it. And if you're going to do the work, you need to put a price tag on your labor. $50, $100, $150 an hour? I'd bet if you're hiring your self out you wouldn't work that cheap.

I looked at a 73 Pearson last summer here in the Midwest... it had the gas Crusaders and the price was definitely right, but I passed on it as I was looking for diesels. BTW, I LOVE the lines of the Pearson! The one I looked at was the 42' semi-displacement trawler.

Anyway... this 42'er had two marine air conditioners. One was in the forward berth with the controls and vent in the shared bulkhead with the berth space and forward hold area below the pilot house. The second air unit was in the midships hold area with controls and output vents in master aft stateroom and a second vent coming out into the galley area.

Looking forward to seeing some pics...!

Get the photos and post them or post a link so we can see what you have and the solar panel arrangement/mounting. There may be a way to incorporate the solar panels, the radar arch and so on.

I agree with the others about the panels. If I had the space, don't , I would add more.
You may still want the gen, but maybe you can do with a smaller unit by keeping the panels yet keep up the batts [solar] and only use the gen for the larger loads the panels cannot maintain.

And yes, welcome to T.F.

Last edited:
1973 Pearson motor yacht

All,
thank you for the comments and feedback. I created an album with 3 current pictures of the boat. I will take more tomorrow but hopefully these give you some idea of what i am talking about.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/members/20880-albums824.html

This link below is to a 1985 currently for sale. this as the interior layout i would like to get to if i can get the boat for the right price. it also has the SS radar arch i would like top install so i could remove the stack the current boat has.

http://www.boatersresources.com/bfs_detail.php?adid=412052&sr=0&sb=0&q1=&q2=&q3=&q4=&q5=&q6=&q7=

Last edited:
Having a good house bank and a good inverter is nice when you don't need AC. And you don't want to keep a generator running with no load and only the occasional need for the reefer. High rpm generators will glaze the cylinder walls when continuously run that way. An 1800 rpm generator is better than a 3600 rpm and a 1200 is best and generally unaffected.
Also, a good high output alternator can keep the batteries up while cruising w/o running a generator.

Just so happens I own a 1971/1985 43 Pearson Portsmouth located on the south shore of Long Island, NY. I'm in FL now, but intend to put her up for sale in April when I return to NY. She has twin Perkins ST6.3544 engines and a 12.5kw Westerbeke generator. In very good condition. Health forces sale. You can email me directly at chiropaul23@yahoo.com for more info and photos.

1973 Pearson motor yacht

All,
added some pictures to the album. Here is the link,

topside pictures include solar panels and mast/stack. This may be a mute point, the owner took a deposit and somebody is checking it out Saturday so it may be gone by Monday. Please keep the thoughts coming and i will keep looking for a boat.

Also notice the hatch in the middle of the upper deck. I am told that is where the previous owner put an RV AC unit to keep cool.

Please contact me if you have any questions.

Thanks

Last edited:
Although not "original" a mini split might be a better solutrion for air cond than re installing old skool.

Faster , cheaper , less electric, but you loose the thrill of cleaning jelly fish out of the AC intake at midnight.

All,
added some pictures to the album. Here is the link,

topside pictures include solar panels and mast/stack. This may be a mute point, the owner took a deposit and somebody is checking it out Saturday so it may be gone by Monday. Please keep the thoughts coming and i will keep looking for a boat.

Also notice the hatch in the middle of the upper deck. I am told that is where the previous owner put an RV AC unit to keep cool.

Please contact me if you have any questions.

Thanks

Put up a couple hand rails for people to grab.

Back
Top Bottom