Yanmar 6LY3-ETP 480hp Turbo Rebuild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonzy1

Vessel Make
2007 Henriques 35 Express
I think I need a new turbo or get this one rebuilt. Low boost, and little smoky on that side.

Has anyone rebuilt these w success?

If so, can you give me a referral?

Thanks

Just a quick check before you yank it off and spend a boat buck......Have you popped off the air filter to see if you can spin the intake blades? It may just have soot/rust blocking the exhaust side blades.

Just a quick check before you yank it off and spend a boat buck......Have you popped off the air filter to see if you can spin the intake blades? It may just have soot/rust blocking the exhaust side blades.

Yes
It spins ok but there is some play in the shaft. More than it should and its about 5psi lower than the stbd motor at cruise and 10 psi lower at WOT. So, I think it needs some love.

Ill swap sides and see if the problem follows it before I ship it but just getting my ducks in a row if I need to send it out.

Thanks

If the turbo doesn't spin easily, remove the exhaust elbow so you can look inside the turbo throat.

If soot then look at what may be causing that- over propping would be the most likely cause. But excessive black smoke/soot rarely blocks up the turbo.

If rust, then it most certainly is sea water backing up from a poorly designed exhaust system. You need to rework the exhaust so that the lowest point of the riser is 12" above the water line and the injection elbow drains to the exhaust and doesn't leave a slug of water in it to corrode it out.

If you don't fix the foregoing, you will be paying for another turbo rebuild again at some point.

Turbos in well designed exhaust systems rarely fail by themselves.

David

Yes
It spins ok but there is some play in the shaft. More than it should and its about 5psi lower than the stbd motor at cruise and 10 psi lower at WOT. So, I think it needs some love.

Ill swap sides and see if the problem follows it before I ship it but just getting my ducks in a row if I need to send it out.

Thanks

Swap the lines to the gauges. Always question the gauge early in troubleshooting.

first check air filters are clean and the play on shaft end that is exposed with filter off, it should spin freely and nothing should be scraping etc. the clearance and end float is small, value differs from engine to engine, i can't tell you what it should be on yours but it is generally obvious when it is too much !

unbalanced boost pressure just indicates one side is loaded more than the other, not necessarily a turbo problem. increase stick on the side with low boost pressure, it then should come up as that engine takes more of the load. if doing that just gives you dark smoke on the side you have increased then it sounds like a turbo problem.

no rust on exhaust side. Properly built risers

There is excessive play in the shaft examined on intake side per my mechanic. Other motor turbo is good. So good for comparison.

Found a co to rebuild

Call Turbo Solutions in Pennsauken NJ 844-428-8726
john

Call Turbo Solutions in Pennsauken NJ 844-428-8726
john

Thank John
I actually found D and W diesel rt near my marina. Apparently they rebuild and were recommended by Mack Boring

I will keep turbo solutions number handy tho

Back
Top Bottom