Illegitimate Charter fine 80K

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unfortunately the final penalty that will be collected will probably be less than $1,000.00. Which is not much deterrent if the violator has been doing it for years and making lots of money.

"Randy Postma, 71, of Davie, Fla., had been the highest-profile case in the Coast Guard Seventh District’s aggressive campaign to stop charter operators it says are violating the law. Postma’s 147’x28’9” motor yacht Golden Touch II was stopped by the Coast Guard near Miami on Aug. 19, 2018, and found to be overloaded with passengers and lacking a certificate of inspection."

So the "highest profile case" has a guy running a 150 footer that was for sale @ $11 million + in 2017. He gets a $4k fine and a couple of years probation. That sure showed him!

Don't overlook that Postma got six months of home confinement. Still not the fine I would have liked to have seen, but that adds to the sentence.

Unfortunately the final penalty that will be collected will probably be less than $1,000.00. Which is not much deterrent if the violator has been doing it for years and making lots of money.

I suspect we'll be disappointed in the final number as well. I think at the minimum the fine should be greater than all the profit from the charters.

It would spank him a little harder if they seized his boat and sold it. That money could be used to fund the USCG needs.

Back
Top Bottom