Who actually owns Trawler Forum?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roguewave

Guru
Vessel Name
bout’ time
Vessel Make
Grady White 282 Sailfish
Who calls the shots, as in owner(s)? and how many other forums do they own or have interest in?

Sure hope this doesn’t ruffel the feathers of those in control :rolleyes:

Whois.com

Registrant Contact
Name: Domain Manager
Organization: Social Knowledge, LLC
Mailing Address: 2600 E Southlake Blvd Suite 120-361, Southlake TX 76092 US
Phone: +1.8777787418
Ext:
Fax: +1.8777787418
Fax Ext:
Email:domains@socialknowledge.com

They own a number of Marine sites

http://www.socialknowledge.com/marine/

Who calls the shots, as in owner(s)? and how many other forums do they own or have interest in?

Sure hope this doesn’t ruffel the feathers of those in control :rolleyes:

Why? Just curious.....:eek:

To me, it’s always interesting to know who controls the forums we post on.

I think Social Knowledge owns the Curisersnet forum. They also own Airforums the Airstream RV site and Hi-Lo trailer forum. They probably own many more.

I feel so used...then again, I've never clicked on an advertisement :D

It is a guy named Andy that owns Social Knowledge.

He hardly is of the controlling nature. Has been creating forums for almost two decades.

Forums can be a lucrative endeavor. At least for me, it was.

To me, it’s always interesting to know who controls the forums we post on.

Never underestimate how poorly a forum can be operated. Some admins are total asshats. I made the mistake of offering sound, accurate advice that conflicted with something the admin of a camera website believed and the dude went full crazy on me. Eventually leading, apparently, to his attempting to blacklist my IP address as a spam threat or something. Meanwhile he deletes posts having anything to do with it. So anyone else coming along has no idea how badly the guy behaves.

So, yeah, having a decently and fairly operated forum is a good thing.

I am a moderator of a couple of forums. Each one is different. Even if owned by same company.

I have seen poorly run forums stagnate and die.

When an admin or moderator drops their ego onto a forum dictating how everything has to be, that is a good opportunity to move on.

Last edited:
I feel so used...then again, I've never clicked on an advertisement :D

I don't even see many advertisements. My hosts file routes that dust storm to a static bit bucket somewhere. My browser blocks cookies. There are some entities on the net that don't block easily.

Social Knowledge seems to be a Texas LLC. If it was a Florida LLC I could easily look up the officers names but I didn’t have any luck with Texas. Anybody know how to do it?

The manager and director of Social Knowledge is Andrew P Robinowitz.
Thank you Mr. Robinoitz for a nice forum.

The manager and director of Social Knowledge is Andrew P Robinowitz.
Thank you Mr. Robinoitz for a nice forum.

Knowing him, I believe he prefers Andy.

Action, now you need to tell us about Andy.

I've run a forum like this before, this one is nice. No evidence of ANY heavy-handedness (or the bodies are buried well), which is the key. If it were to be sold to any single commercial entity with an agenda, it would die. Forums are organic and need to be allowed to grow. I'd recommend supporting the sponsors/ads if you like it, and staying away from them if you don't...

I was one of the original mods on his first forum back in 2002. (not this forum) And I mod a forum he sold.

His MO is to provide a useful service to share and exchange ideas and experiences. and make some $ off of all of the websites. He never was looking to hit a home run on any site. For forums he places a staff of mods that have interest in the subject to do that function and usually walks away from any day to day functions. And is always available should the need occur. I have had just a little direct contact and always felt blessed to be affiliated.

Being a basic luddite, never thought to ask the question. Then again, I don't care. I do appreciate that Andy put it together - it has certainly benefitted me.

Being a basic luddite, never thought to ask the question. Then again, I don't care. I do appreciate that Andy put it together - it has certainly benefitted me.
He didn`t put it together. Baker did.

He didn`t put it together. Baker did.

Wifey B: Yes, credit to the dude who kneaded the dough and baked the pie that is TF. It was his oven and kitchen where a tasty forum meal was created. While maintaining a forum like this as Social Knowledge has done, it's never possible if there isn't a Baker developing the right recipe. :)

When it comes to businesses we've bought, Hubby prefers to refer to us as the custodians but to always try to remember the innovators and those who took the chance and gave their hearts and souls to get things going. We applaud the current owners as they do exactly what we do in business, but let's not forget what it took to get there.

Excellent info and thank you!

I was one of the original mods on his first forum back in 2002. (not this forum) And I mod a forum he sold.

His MO is to provide a useful service to share and exchange ideas and experiences. and make some $ off of all of the websites. He never was looking to hit a home run on any site. For forums he places a staff of mods that have interest in the subject to do that function and usually walks away from any day to day functions. And is always available should the need occur. I have had just a little direct contact and always felt blessed to be affiliated.

Like I said, Bruce, Luddite. Hats off to Mr. Baker and other contributors.

OK, so Baker started TF and somehow transitioned it to Social Knowledge run by Andy. I was here in the early days under Baker. Did he sell it to Social Knowledge?

David

OK, so Baker started TF and somehow transitioned it to Social Knowledge run by Andy. I was here in the early days under Baker. Did he sell it to Social Knowledge?

David

Wifey B: Isn't that getting a bit too personal? Next you'll be asking what he got for whatever was done or the internal workings. :nonono:

David

David,

John Baker started TF with a partner named Larry who owned Boomerang. They got tired of running it, and sold it. They didn't start it to make money. Of course that would have be a big plus. John announced the sale to the members.

Back
Top Bottom