Visegrip chain clamp tool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
Searching for something better than wide opening adjustable spanners for adjusting stern gland nuts, I found these:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LOCKING...463816?hash=item4689d9cfc8:g:IS0AAOSwBChbbqp3
They have a chain between the jaws which can clamp on around the big gland nuts,often semi frozen,and help turn them, even in hard to access places.
They would have other uses too, removing oil filters, gripping a pipe,things like that.Not expensive either, in BOAT terms.

I had one of those. Don't know how effective they will be on gland nuts with such a short handle. Don't even think about using that on an oil filter as the pivots create pressure points and will also assuredly start to collapse the can. A smooth strap wrench is the right tool for an oil filter.

Ted

I like it. The one I use for our stuffing box is pretty similar but it looks like the one you referenced would be easier to adjust.

Attachments

• 144C185D-D5D8-46A9-92D0-6755180AD6D9.jpg
    144C185D-D5D8-46A9-92D0-6755180AD6D9.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 56
I"ve had this same tool for a few decades. Saved me, big time, once removing a fuel filter assembly, oil filters, and, yes, even the packing nuts. As previously reported, any use on light sheet metal objects will cause them to be replaced. The attachment of the actual chain point is a high stress lever to cause instant denting, and possible puncturing.

I have a vice grip chain "wrench" ...have used it for all kinds of applications through the years.

Ted is correct that it tends to crush oil filters...but in a few cases was my tool of choice when my strap wrenches slipped.

Can use it on many applications...just make sure it isn't damaging to object that allows alternatives in case it doesn't work.

Open jaw spanners don`t lock on, and they achieve poor grip. All made worse by poor access. I`ve seen the chain vise grips used on the gland nuts, once on the nut they stay on,making a hard job relatively easy, even at full arm stretch.
They could puncture an oil filter,but still have a range of uses. I usually drive a screwdriver through a reluctant oil filter.

Oil filters are much stiffer of grabbed at the closed end, rather than in the middle.

I use a plumbers adjustable wrench to adjust leak off on shaft packing gland nuts, less than $10 at any hardware store. I also added a 2’ section of steel channel stock pinned thru the wrench handle hole. I can now safely do minor adjustments from deck level while underway.
For oil filters I preferr a proper sized filter steel strap wrench. :)

Attachments

• A20F95DA-674D-4A51-BC0D-ABF50E211526.jpeg
    A20F95DA-674D-4A51-BC0D-ABF50E211526.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
I agree the vice grip chain tool is for things where specific or more generic but still specialty tools aren't getting the job done.

I use a plumbers adjustable wrench to adjust leak off on shaft packing gland nuts, less than $10 at any hardware store. I also added a 2’ section of steel channel stock pinned thru the wrench handle hole. I can now safely do minor adjustments from deck level while underway.
For oil filters I preferr a proper sized filter steel strap wrench. :)

I've spent some "quality time" with this wrench too. It was my primary tool for this job at the box. It is frustrating to use, with the adjustment constantly not holding settings. The wingnut lock is flimsy and the jaws don't hold parallel. I can't really recommend it. Of course, you manytimes need two wrenches at once, at least this one is thin.
It saved me one time, though, with a very tight racor metal bowl on a gas engine that was stuck. That little divet on one jaw locked into the metal ridge on the casting, and did the trick. So, long story even longer. You need an assortment of tools at hand. Even sometimes crappy made ones.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom