Name change - Vinyl lettering adhesive removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnEasley

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Wanderlust
Vessel Make
1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Good morning one and all and Happy Monday!
We took possession of our new-to-us boat over the weekend. Part of the process of making her our own is the name change. We used a heat gun to remove the old lettering on the transom. That was easy-peasy. However, it left behind adhesive from the lettering. Any recommendations on removing it? We tried mineral spirits but that had no effect. Acetone? Goo Gone?

Thanks for any hints or tips.

John

I am told that Goo Gone will work. I have always used xylene. Sold at hardware or paint store. Same stuff as Cigarette lighter fluid...from memory.

Attachments

• 0C7653F6-3C62-4400-8410-BCE3930356FA.jpeg
    0C7653F6-3C62-4400-8410-BCE3930356FA.jpeg
    19 KB · Views: 110
Good to know. Thanks. I'm going to try a little heat and some Goo Gone this weekend.

Depending on how long the old name was in place, you'll undoubtedly have the ghost name to deal with. How visible it remains depends a lot on how the new name covers, but it WILL be visible. A wet sanding of the transom is the most effective way to remove it, and since you now have a clean slate, now's the time to do it. It's not terribly complicated. Use a rubber sanding block and water with a bit of Dawn and some 600 or 800 grit wet sand paper to start, then buff it out with a slow pad and gelcoat compound. Finish off with a glaze polish like Finesse-It to get a nice even shine. The only downside is that now it highlights any shabbiness in the rest of the hull.... :)

Don't forget the re-naming ritual! A great excuse for a party.

We took off the name on a previous boat. It was a metal flake vinyl name and it burnes the gel coat brown. I tried sanding and it went almost all the way through the gel coat. We ended up painting the transom.

Lots of solvents will remove it. Start weak and move up the list until something works. I believe we used Simple Green.

Still, you will have a ghost image to deal with. As Maerin mentioned, you can wet sand (If you try and wet sand, use paper in the 1000 grit range, then 1500, then maybe 2000. Then polishing compound and then wax. It is pretty tedious.), OR have the entire transom "wrapped" with vinyl that matches the color of the boat as the background for the new name graphic. We did not opt for that since I was comfortable wet sanding, but the thought crossed our mind. It does open up possibilities for a more fancy graphic that covers the entire transom should you go that route.

Capt. John, congrats on the new acquisition. May the biggest problem you face is how to remove the sticky residue. I used 3m adhesive remover when faced with that problem. Good Luck

Attachments

• 6D1FB140-C63F-436E-BF3D-0A09FF9BA552.jpg
    6D1FB140-C63F-436E-BF3D-0A09FF9BA552.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 174
Capt. John,
Don’t forget the name changing ceremony. One can be found by searching for John Vigor name changing. You wouldn’t want any bad luck or facing the wrath of any offended “gods” if you don’t.��
Besides, it really entertains the guests at the renaming party! Lots of toasting and such!
Congrats on the new vessel and some good suggestions on removal of the old vinyl.
Regards,
Tom

3m adhesive remover is made for exactly for this purpose. It comes in a quart can or a spray can. You might try using a heavy duty compound (aggressive grit) and a buffer before doing the sandpaper. I would not put any wax or polish on it until you get the the vinyl letters on, then polish and wax everything.

3m adhesive remover is made for exactly for this purpose. It comes in a quart can or a spray can. You might try using a heavy duty compound (aggressive grit) and a buffer before doing the sandpaper. I would not put any wax or polish on it until you get the the vinyl letters on, then polish and wax everything.

That's true, but DANG! it is really expensive!

Never had any luck with goo gone or simple green. can of acetone worked for me.
Buffed ghost image with chalk removing compound but it was still visible at certain angles.

Paint vs gelcoat for the hull finish should dictate what you use to remove the decals and adhesive residue. Hobo’s hull is.a two part and we’re real careful on using any solvents.

I got my letters off with my fingernails- transom was in the sun so it warmed them up. I first cleaned with acetone, then used a basic rubbing compound. I then let her sit in the sun for a few days, compounded again and put the new letters on. My thought process was that it I rush to protect the surface again, I would block the UV effects that would help reduce the shadows. I didn’t wax the transom until a few months later. No shadows

Eucalyptus oil works a treat. Finding it outside Oz might be hard. Doesn`t California have eucalypts?

I have some Goo Gone and some acetone. Planning to try those on Thursday and see how it goes.

I can highly recommend the 3M stripe wheel. In December I started removing all the vinyl letters off our new purchase. Two hours in with heat gun and goo gone I had 3 of 7 letters off the back. Then went and picked up a wheel put it in a standard battery drill and the 4 letters were off in 10 minutes with no sticky goo left behind.

With the 3M arbor you have to be careful to go the correct direction or the wheel will come off. Mine did and went in the drink. I got more from Amazon for $22, for those I made an arbor from all thread and two nyloc nuts. I have used one for two hours without losing it in every direction.

Fortunately our boat has 'name boards', both on transom and port/starboard (documented boat) - plan to remove them and change the names in a 'controlled environment' ie my shop. :thumb: The boards are screwed in and have rubber spacers holding them about 1/4" off of the boat surface.

Once you have the adhesive off, I recommend buffing the entire transom with 3m finesse it. This should remove all the glass oxidation making it very difficult to see were the old name was.

I have used that 3M stripe removal tool before. Removed all the decals and stripes from one of our company vehicles. Works good, does not scratch or damage the surface.

Hi,
A little late for you, been doing lettering on autos and boats for years, one step vinyl and adhesive removal use: ABN Rubber Vinyl Eraser safe on paint and fiberglass

It will also work fast and safe to take off just the adhesive.
Kevin

Probably chiming in too late, but Bio-solv works great. Used it a couple of times on our boat and a friend's. Gave it to a guy once that was laboring with a heat gun and scraper. He still thanks me to this day...

If the boat is Coast Guard Documented and you have applied for documentation, you should not have taken the name off the boat.
When I bought my present boat I did the same thing you are doing. The company that handled my documentation almost had a cow. They said that they hoped that I did not get boarded as there could be a large fine.

I've used a domestic steam cleaner to good effect, like others I've used WD40 which is also gapped - but the stem gun is better

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom