Signal flares

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbtapper

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Lady Maria
Vessel Make
1987 CT 35 Sundeck
Anybody know if the new Orion branded flares and parachute signals will work with a Olin flare gun? I have the nice expensive all metal original Olin flare gun and don’t want any of the new cheap stuff as a replacement.
Mine has the reducer sleeve so I can also use 12ga if needed but would prefer the 25mm flares as they apparently are much more visible

Thanks

I would check with the manufacturer since I would not want to have it blow up in my hand. Hearsay here is ok for a lot of things, but I would want to make sure with this.

I would check with the manufacturer since I would not want to have it blow up in my hand. Hearsay here is ok for a lot of things, but I would want to make sure with this.

Agree fully.

It shouldn’t be a problem. Any 25mm gun should fire any 25mm flare. Besides which, Orion is Olin. They just changed the name. There was a recall on Orion and Olin plastic flare guns produced before 2000 so watch out for those.

If being seen is the desire , purchase a 37MM gun and flairs .

The yacht toys are fine for 4th of July but do not have the visibility of a real gun.

WE carry a tiny hand held flair gun as the refills are required by age to be discarded, so we get cheap ones to show to marine inspectors.

Don't worry about the date on real flairs ..

Our 37 MM has launch,ed 30-40 year old flairs with no problem.

In a port with cruse ships free , out of date 37MM can sometimes be had by asking the 3rd mate.

Get the Weems & Plath electronic flare gun to satisfy the coast guard and keep your old flares. This is what I did so now I do not have to get new ones every few years. Flares kept in a good water tight container will last a very long time.
The expire date on flares is a joke.

A few years ago our yacht club sponsored a "Flare Demo Day" where boaters could bring out their old, expired flares and they guns (if applicable) and fire them off over the river. The old ones worked fine with the exception of the hand held flares where you pull the string to fire it off. We had a lot of failures with those, but almost none with the various other kinds of flares.

The new CCG Regs have cut the number of flares needed for full compliance with the Regs in half, provided you have an electronic means of contacting the CG. VHF or cell phone are sufficient.
As we rarely lead the US, mostly follow, check your USCG Regs for a similar change.

There are now 2 manufacturers of the electronic flares. Have one of each on different boats. Both seem good for intended purpose. Competition and economy of scale should continue to reduce the price.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom