Bilge Paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeaBreeze

Vessel Name
SeaShell
Vessel Make
1974 Marine Trader 34 Sedan
I'm looking for recommendations for inexpensive white bilge paint. I prefer not to go with bilgekote or any of the pricier marine paints. What inexpensive options have you used with success?

Thanks!

I use Bligekote. I know it is about $80 a gallon but it really lastd and holds up well to heavy use. When I look at all the prep work and the work painting, it really isn’t that expensive.

I have seen a couple of people just use the cheapest primer you can get at Home Cheap-O. Bess wants to start painting ours and I am considering that option. Cheap, easy, bonds to almost everything... etc.

A purpose-designed product like Bilgekote (which we used) has a lower lifetime cost of ownership than trying to get away with something cheap, and I would think white especially. On the other hand if you are just trying to pretty up the boat for sale you could try to get away with something like one of the sprays; Rustoleum makes some good products. Prep is the essential step here.

I read somewhere, maybe on this site, that some folks have had good luck using Rustoleum marine topside paint in their bilge/engine room spaces. About $15 a quart at home depot. I have used it on the insides of a boat with good success and am thinking of trying it in my ER.

I'm using Rustoleum Top Coat (one part marine paint sold through Lowes, HD, Amazon). I'm using the primer then a gloss white. Too soon to say how it holds up but in my research many people use it with good results. About $15 a quart.

The important part of the prep work is to degrease and de-oil it.

Regular rustoleum and enamel paint hardener worked for me!

Some folks prefer to leave the bilge unpainted ,as should the vessel run aground ant cracking or delanination damage would be visible.

Whatever you use, if any of it is going to be constantly wet, get paint rated for it.

Above your normal bilge waterline you can use any all weather/exterior paint or primer....alone or in combo.

Below, where water may/or does sit.... if you don't trust paint....use gel coat and paint above.

Only use oil based paint because there could be oil vapor deposits and the usual exterior paint is water based.

If the paint starts to flake or peel, your bilge pumps may clog just when you need them the most; that’s what I tell myself any time I start to think about painting my bilge.:)

If the paint starts to flake or peel, your bilge pumps may clog just when you need them the most; that’s what I tell myself any time I start to think about painting my bilge.:)

That is why I don’t use cheap bilge paint. I don’t want it coming off and I don’t want to have to repaint it. Not worth the 20 or 30 bucks I would save on cheap paint.

I have been impressed with Rustoleum Bull's Eye Primer. I painted one side of the aft bilge with it and it also survives fine under rain water that can sit in there for long times. I never did topcoat the primer. I used a cheap brush, cleaned it up best I could and slathered it on. It still looks flat white like I just applied it after 6 months. It takes several coats to get good coverage if your not planning on a topcoat. Someday I may topcoat it with an acrylic latex.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-c...mer-sealers/bulls-eye-1-2-3-water-base-primer

Water-base primer-sealer
Interior and exterior
Sticks to all surfaces without sanding
Seals stains, graffiti and tannin bleed
Mold & mildew resistant film
Rust inhibitive – great for new metal
Fast 1 hour dry time
35F low application temperature

They have the older classic formula which is better, the newer one (plus version) if paint sits in can gets lumpy, not worth paying the higher price.

Last edited:
That is why I don’t use cheap bilge paint. I don’t want it coming off and I don’t want to have to repaint it. Not worth the 20 or 30 bucks I would save on cheap paint.

:thumb:

Use Bilgecoat, and use a respirator and have lots of fans circulating air into the area while you are painting. Preferably have 3 or 4 people there with you, painting as well, so that you are only in the bilge area for a short time until it dries.

The upside is that it is very durable.

:thumb:

Use Bilgecoat, and use a respirator and have lots of fans circulating air into the area while you are painting. Preferably have 3 or 4 people there with you, painting as well, so that you are only in the bilge area for a short time until it dries.

The upside is that it is very durable.

Rustoleum Bulls Eye is durable and wont poison you with toxic fumes, which yeah, could be a big problem painting in a confined space with paints like that, you could die breathing those fumes or get MS, nerve disease. I wonder if it is also an explosion hazard.

Paint solvent neurotoxicity
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2078137/

Last edited:
We repaint our aft bilge last year and half the ER and we used BilgeKote. Nasty fumes but solid paint. I like that it is very slick so easy to wipe and clean. For the fume we used respirators and left the boat for lunch as soon it was finished leaving the boat open. Few hours later it was fine and ventilated enough.
We also used preKote as primer.

L

I'm looking for recommendations for inexpensive white bilge paint. I prefer not to go with bilgekote or any of the pricier marine paints. What inexpensive options have you used with success?

Thanks!
Zinzer White mold killing primer paint--- $31 a gallon at Home Depo Handles easy as its water based

Zinzer White mold killing primer paint--- $31 a gallon at Home Depo Handles easy as its water based

I saw they recommend painting this on top for the best anti mold properties, but this is also self priming. I know boats can grow molds, mildews, biological weapons in the bilges, so not a bad idea.
ZINSSER®
PERMA-WHITE® Mold & Mildew-Proof™* Exterior Paint
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-c...a-white-mold-and-mildew-proof-exterior-paint/

Can get this in semigloss.
Mold & Mildew-Proof™* paint film - guaranteed for 5 years
Durable, long lasting finish - guaranteed for 15 years
Self-Priming - sticks to surfaces without sanding
Fade Resistant
Resists dirt and moisture
Tintable to any off-white, pastel or medium earthtone color

Rustoleum does make good paint. There is no need to use stinking paints that can make you sick, the good stuff does not have to smell bad or be dangerous to be good.

Last edited:
How about getting away from all the domestic retail stuff and search out some industrial coatings. I recall paying in the range of $30-$40 per gallon. But by the size of your boat in your avatar you probably only need a gallon of primer and then topcoat. Easier to stick with the Home Despot Rustoleum stuff.

Caution if it is oil based - GOOD VENTILATION. I got really sick once because of this, dizzy, throwing up. Wonder how many brain cells I killed off that day???

The best bilge paint for the money is Sherwin Williams Tile-Clad 2 part Epoxy paint. Wont hold up to UV rays but harder than gelcoat.

And before someone mentions it's for the home/industrial check out the marine label.
19289d1379261194-sherwin-williams-tile-clad-hs-epoxy-forumrunner_20130915_110627.jpg

I use it as a primer and @ $120 for 2 gallons it's crazy good. I also used it as deck paint on my center console. It resists oils, sliding coolers, and so far(4 years) the sun. I could wear metal cleats while fishing lol.

Bilgekote can't hold a candle to it.

Last edited:
Won't hold up to UV but you use it as deck paint?

A proper bilge coating paint should not absorb oils and discolor over time. Repainting is such a pain, why not do it right the first time?

I would consider Jamestown Distributors epoxy bilge paint "Totalbilge". Painting a bilge is an M52A1 PITA. You only want to do it once and you want it to last. So my recommendation is a purpose intended product not a make do one.

I have not used the Total boat bilge paint but I did use their Spartan bottom paint and I am not impressed. I will be using Micron Extra this year instead.

I 2nd use of ZINSSER white mold & mildew primer/paint on a boat, but we've not used it in the bilge. I've painted inside closets, bathrooms, drawers, and cupboards for an easy-to-apply, hard, washable finish. It leaves a nice satin finish that I like.

Pettit EZ Bilge - about $28/qt. One and done - Great stuff:thumb::thumb:

I hope to die before I need to paint the bilges LOL

Why are some boaters willing to pinch pennies. We own boats worth big money but we cannot spring for correct paint for an area that is exposed to oil, fuel, saltwater etc. it just doesn’t make sense.

Why are some boaters willing to pinch pennies. We own boats worth big money but we cannot spring for correct paint for an area that is exposed to oil, fuel, saltwater etc. it just doesn’t make sense.

I have not figured that one out either.

Back
Top Bottom