1980s Wagner micropilot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

polo

Vessel Name
Mighty Quinn
Vessel Make
Oceania 30
Please help...when setting a course and the autopilot button was pushed the boat would turn slightly to port then auto correct and run straight as a die. However, all of a sudden, when picking a course and hitting autopilot, the rudder turns completely to port and has to be turned off in order to manually steer. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Guessing bad fluxgate compass. I had one abandoned in place on board from when the AP was upgraded to a Raymarine. It just fell to pieces.

Please help...when setting a course and the autopilot button was pushed the boat would turn slightly to port then auto correct and run straight as a die. However, all of a sudden, when picking a course and hitting autopilot, the rudder turns completely to port and has to be turned off in order to manually steer. Any ideas?

It is not uncommon that a re-calibration will fix it. To do this get the manual out and proceed as directed. Usually a windless wide open bay is required as you do several 360s. The button configuration and screen prompts for your specific unit as you do this circling should be in the manual.

I had to do this with my AP20 when it had the symptoms you describe. Yes, remove all metal, tools etc from around the unit's compass.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom