Florida Boat Storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gmarr

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Jay
Vessel Make
Non Trawler ;-) Ask me if it matters LOL
We are considering adding a boat in Florida to maintain on a seasonal basis and would like some input. We live In Chicago and have a boat in a Chicago harbor during the season here.

The idea is to place her somewhere In a marina from Novemberish through May then transport somewhere for summer/hurricane season storage.

If we were to keep her somewhere between Miami and West Palm Beach- where (and name names of you wish) would be an ok and safe place to store (generally) during hurricane season. My current job doesn’t have the flexibility to react to short term situations, so I’m thinking somewhere on he hard that is usually out of harms way. Ideally I guess it might be nice if it were in a place that dropping her back in for a week might be nice as well.

Ideally, I’d love it to be a place that is dirt cheap....for the summer- but you tell me your thoughts and maybe things to consider (power available to run dehumidifier, etc.)

Boat would be a 40’ish Trawler.

We are also considering west Coast (FL) as well if there are any adequate areas there. Right now in planning stages (yeah another Chicago winter dreamer....I do notice them too!!)

Marinas in the Miami to West Palm area are rather expensive. If you go a little further north and then west on the Okeechobee Canal for a few miles there is a somewhat inexpensive haulout yard in Stuart at River Forest Yachting Center. RFYC has another location in La Belle to the west of Lake Okeechoobee that is somewhat cheaper and even cheaper still is Glades Boat Storage in Moor Haven- $3.60-4.50/ft/mo. for dry storage.

There are several marinas in the Stuart area for winter in the water use. Sunset Bay is one of the better ones.

David

Last edited:
"Ideally, I’d love it to be a place that is dirt cheap."

To have your insurance company be happy, the boat would be hauled and then stored in a hurricane rated building.

That's not going to be cheap.

riverforestyc.com/

This company is both on the coast and 1/2 mile from our hurricane hole neighborhood.

Some folks let out dock space behind their homes , but its a 2 day ride from the coast. PM for phone numbers.

As they say.. you either spend time or money.

Plan B is a week or two going where ever your insurance company requires.

Last edited:
Glades is cheapest, but last time I checked they were full. Your boat sits in a field.

Sweet Water marine has a building, is close to Ft Myers, and has a 50 ton forklift that will pick up my 36 Grand Banks.

We almost left it there, but I am going back to Beaumont for a year.

Back
Top Bottom