Access for roof extension

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tator

Guru
Vessel Name
Oz
Vessel Make
Bluewater 40' RPH 1979
A best friend of mine has a 34' Taiwan Sedan. He is planning on extending the roof line aft to the transom. He wants to make the access to the upper deck and FB via a ladder coming off the swim step as he "doesn't want a hole in his new roof". He's 72 years old and not the skinniest or most agile person anymore. His plan is to take the boat to SE Alaska for months of cruising. I have concern for his safety with this setup. Do any of my fellow trawlers have any experience with the setup he is proposing? Have you ever seen a setup such as this? Thanks, Tator

He could build a real staircase instead of a ladder. That would be easier on his 72 YOA knees especially in a seaway. Not on the swim step though (shudder). Perhaps more forward under the bimini.

If he doesn't like the "hole" in the roof he could put a sliding hatch like sailboats and other Taiwanese trawlers or even one of those forehatch "coop"s like sailing ships and gold plated yachts.

I agree with him about the ladder and the hole but in 34' the options would be limited.

He's got to be creative.

How about a staircase elevator like the grandma in "The Farmer's Daughter"?

Greetings,
Mr. T "... not the skinniest or most agile person anymore...". Advise him to ALWAYS wear his life jacket and have a means to easily climb back on board when he falls in with THAT set up. MUCH safer to live with a hole in the roof plus incorporation of a hole/opening would allow a greater number of design options as Mr. a above.

Last edited:
Why does he want to extend the overhead, more storage or to keep the cockpit dry? For that size boat I'm not sure I would want to significantly increase the amount of overhead loading.... If it's primary purpose is weather protection an eyebrow canvas works fine.

For both dinghy storage and the weather. It currently has a canvas cover.

At times in deep tidal areas one needs to be able to come alongside pilings that may be far above the boat.

AS waves or wakes go by it is important that the top of the boat does not roll into the pilings.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom