Old Grand Banks 42'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Lemons

Vessel Name
Malindy
Vessel Make
1973 Classic 42' Grand Banks Trawler
My name is Greg Lemons and I have been restoring a 1973 GB 42' for the last four years, bringing it back as close to original as possible. Her name is Malindy and lives in Madisonville, LA. My plans is to start the Great Loop singlehanded mid summer. I believe she is the oldest fiberglass 42' made in Singapore in 1973, up till December 1972 all 42' were wood. Can anyone shed some light on hull numbers for older Grand Banks and my claim Malindy is the oldest fiberglass boat? :banghead:

Welcome aboard. I don’t have any info on your boat. Sorry.

About 6-7 years ago I was looking at GB42's. There were a couple listed in Australia that were very tired, and I was able to establish their approximate age using hull numbers. They were invariably older than listed by the broker, who simply accepted vendors claims as to age (and likely other things as well) at face value and did not verify it. I think the USA listings were accurate wrt age. I might have more data somewhere, but here are a few numbers from boats for sale and a bit of research at the time.

Attachments

• GB 42 hull number.doc
    32 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
I also have a research record that states that GB42 hull #353 was the first fiberglass produced, 1973. Mine is hull #966, 1986.

Hi Greg - what’s your hull number? I have a 42 foot 1973/74 with hull number 383.

Matt

Old GB

My name is Greg Lemons and I have been restoring a 1973 GB 42' for the last four years, bringing it back as close to original as possible. Her name is Malindy and lives in Madisonville, LA. My plans is to start the Great Loop singlehanded mid summer. I believe she is the oldest fiberglass 42' made in Singapore in 1973, up till December 1972 all 42' were wood. Can anyone shed some light on hull numbers for older Grand Banks and my claim Malindy is the oldest fiberglass boat? :banghead:

I have a 1984 GB 36 Classic built in Singapore. My hull number is 712. Don't know if that info helps. BTW, the location where our boats were built is now a storage lot. The construction facility is now in Malaysia.

I think the GB Forum is lost. Several trying to buy it, status at this time is unknown.

My woodie 1972 GB 42 is hull 295. Calypso was recently for sale in Galveston on Boattrader, but I do not see her there now.

#352 is the last 42 woodie. 32's, 36's, 42's hulls etc, all have separate sequential numbering system.
There is some conflict between hull number and boat selling date to 1 st customer. Hull number was assigned close to when keel laid. Its possible that 352 keel was laid in 1972 or 73 but due to circumstances boat was not finished until later date. This was in the middle of OPEC oil production cut, plunging economy into re-session. GB been a small family boat builder was not exempt from the financial crunch.
If anyone runs into Tony Flemming, he will know. He was Manager at Junk Bay before picked to manage FG production in Malaysia.

Seems to me at BC Boat Show years ago I was talking to the owner of 352. I may be mistaken.
I think she is a single Lehman.

Last edited:
Also be careful where you get the hull numbers from.
This GB42 was built late 1980 and delivered 1981.
The hull number on the plaque is 40 and the hull number on the documentation is 716E.
The plaque refers to it being the fortieth sold and delivered in Australia and the documentation refers to it being the 716th from the factory.

As the GB forum is no longer in existence I suggest you join the Grand Banks Facebook page. All your questions about hull numbers will be able to be answered there.

Cheers
Parry

Attachments

• IMG_20201201_150546.jpg
    IMG_20201201_150546.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20201031_084300.jpg
    IMG_20201031_084300.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 6
There is a Grand Banks sub forum right here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom