Trawler Forum

Trawler Forum (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/)
-   Power Systems (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s6/)
-   -   Ford Lehman 120 - Fitting Injector Lines (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s6/ford-lehman-120-fitting-injector-lines-42955.html)

hobbystuff 02-08-2019 08:59 PM

Ford Lehman 120 - Fitting Injector Lines

I ordered two replacement injector lines for my engine, as the #1 and #2 lines had been rubbing and have quite deep grooves.

The replacement lines are not quite the same shape as the old ones, any tips on how to bend the new ones to fit? Tools, techniques, hard earned lessons - all welcome.

Thanks in advance.

psneeld 02-08-2019 09:08 PM

They should be close. Bending them a little by spreading ot pinching doesnt hurt to get the fitting in the right spot.

But you might have to thread them together with a iittle trial and error...mine interlocked and had to be put on together as there was no threading them when one as lready on.

hobbystuff 02-08-2019 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psneeld (Post 738994)
They should be close. Bending them a little by spreading ot pinching doesnt hurt to get the fitting in the right spot.

But you might have to thread them together with a iittle trial and error...mine interlocked and had to be put on together as there was no threading them when one as lready on.

I'm sitting at home comparing the new ones to the old ones and they look quite different. Will take to the boat tomorrow and just have a good look at how much adjustment is actually needed.

Comodave 02-08-2019 10:38 PM

If they are that different maybe they sent the wrong lines. Donít destroy them trying to make them fit if they are that different.

hobbystuff 02-08-2019 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comodave (Post 739010)
If they are that different maybe they sent the wrong lines. Donít destroy them trying to make them fit if they are that different.

Agreed. I'm going to hold judgement until I get alongside the engine tomorrow.

Cigatoo 02-09-2019 05:10 AM

These are the lines purchased on eBay?

psneeld 02-09-2019 05:37 AM

As long as the fittings are the same distance apart, they are OK......yes the bends are sometimes quite different and they look like completely different pretzels. :D

hobbystuff 02-09-2019 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easting (Post 739043)
These are the lines purchased on eBay?

No. I bought two replacements from American Diesel.

C lectric 02-10-2019 08:37 PM

Check with them, AD.

My understanding is that the lines are pretzeled for a reason. Different line lengths may cause a slightly different fuel delivery on those cylinders. THe pretzeling makes all the lines the same, or very close, length even though the distance from injector to pump is different.

For all I know at this point though they may have decided the difference is so slight that it is not to be worried about.

BIG CAT 02-10-2019 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C lectric (Post 739684)
Check with them, AD.

My understanding is that the lines are pretzeled for a reason. Different line lengths may cause a slightly different fuel delivery on those cylinders. THe pretzeling makes all the lines the same, or very close, length even though the distance from injector to pump is different.

For all I know at this point though they may have decided the difference is so slight that it is not to be worried about.

The lines must all be the same length. Any change in length will change injection timing. I would definitely make sure you have the right one before making any bends. They may have sent the wrong cylinder# or it may have been bagged wrong. I have seen parts in the wrong box more than I care to think about.

C lectric 02-10-2019 11:13 PM

Oh well, got part of it right.