Captain in NYC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bridaus

Vessel Name
Morgan le Fay
Vessel Make
KK 42
Anyone know a captain for a 7 mile transition trip in NYC, down the Hudson River. KK 42.

New to me unfamiliar boat, runs, but I'm not comfortable with my experience and newness of the boat.

It's very last minute (tomorrow).

I thought about having it towed, but the marina folks suggested that tow folks will not do dock to dock, and that using tow insurance "adds up". I'm thinking it's really another reason, but either way I try to listen to local folks about their area.

Thoughts? Recommendations of someone that isn't in Florida right now? :)

Leaving this time of year, I am guessing you are departing 79th Street boat basin.

Where are you heading? Chelsea Piers?

Liberty Landing (NJ, across the river and down a few miles).

Found a captain, but for others and myself maybe in the future, don't mind recommendations still. Thanks!

Links to google map for

NY, NY marine tow

https://www.google.com/maps/search/ny,+ny+marine+tow/@40.7990443,-74.4489783,9z/data=!3m1!4b1

Find a tow captain who is shutdown for the season but who wants to go for a ride. Maybe he will bring a trailerable tow boat along. You can tow his boat behind yours. Take your boat back to RI or wherever is most convenient to work on it.

The BoatUS and Seatow guys are subcontractors, franchises. Some of them are shutdown and maybe want to go for a ride.

Maybe it won't work but you never know unless you try.

Anyone know a captain for a 7 mile transition trip in NYC, down the Hudson River. KK 42.

New to me unfamiliar boat, runs, but I'm not comfortable with my experience and newness of the boat.

It's very last minute (tomorrow).

I thought about having it towed, but the marina folks suggested that tow folks will not do dock to dock, and that using tow insurance "adds up". I'm thinking it's really another reason, but either way I try to listen to local folks about their area.

Thoughts? Recommendations of someone that isn't in Florida right now? :)

tow folks definitely do dock-to-dock

its free with seatow maybe boat us

i've used it several times

Dock to docks are only free if the boat is inoperable and needs to be moved right away....or on their schedule.

Dock to docks are only free if the boat is inoperable and needs to be moved right away....or on their schedule.

I have never been asked if boat was inoperable. A couple times it was just to bring to a yard for regular maintenance and I could not make the trip. Yes, its not immediate if they have other jobs, they may make you wait a few days.

I have never been asked if boat was inoperable. A couple times it was just to bring to a yard for regular maintenance and I could not make the trip. Yes, its not immediate if they have other jobs, they may make you wait a few days.

You have be lucky..... its not part of the contract unless the boat is inop or the franchise owner did it as a favor.

My boss also used to make the owner be present for all dock to docks with the RARE exception.

You have be lucky..... its not part of the contract unless the boat is inop or the franchise owner did it as a favor.

My boss also used to make the owner be present for all dock to docks with the RARE exception.

AND I will add, NY Harbor is not the place to tow a 40k pound boat that is operable.
It's more risk than needed.

Found a captain, took her down river successfully.

Getting out of Boat Basin was interesting, not dredged and the ice dam was up. Folks there were accommodating in the end.

Captain remarked that the boat was not in bad shape at all. I've been working hard at that.

She is in a much better spot now.

Getting out of Boat Basin was interesting, not dredged and the ice dam was up. Folks there were accommodating in the end.

Captain remarked that the boat was not in bad shape at all. I've been working hard at that.

So what did you end up doing before firing up the engines?

Nice job!!

It's easy to get paralyzed at the dock with a long list of to-dos and what-ifs. At some point you just need to go for it, and you did.

If a boat runs for an hour, it will probably run for a day. If a boat runs for a day, it will probably run for a week. And if a boat runs for a week, it will probably run for a year.

You made it past the first two steps.

Glad to hear she is successfully on the move. I hope you update the other thread with some pics. Safe travels to RI.

So what did you end up doing before firing up the engines?

Not sure what you mean completely, but attempting to answer:

1. Cleaned the heck out of the boat, removing thousands of pounds and years of liveaboard junk.
  2. Verified VHF radio working, and USCG safety equipment for 42' boat.
  3. Scoped engine room for any movable items, things that could shift.
  4. Verified battery charge for starting
  5. Checked oil, antifreeze, and transmission fluid levels
  6. Checked overall engine appearance and connections.
  7. Checked seacock positions for cooling
  8. Started her up, set RPM at 800, watched oil pressure, water temp and raw water out exhaust, all checked out.
  9. Put her in/out of gear at dock checking thrust and moving rudder to check operation.
  10. Untied lines and cast off!

I probably forgot something in that list... it all flew by so fast after we left the marina... I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The only concern while running, was excess heat over 1400 rpm. I'm going to be checking out the cooling system to see what that's about, could easily be a sea-chest with too much gunk, impeller, fouled heat exchanger, etc. etc.

Not sure what you mean completely, but attempting to answer:

1. Cleaned the heck out of the boat, removing thousands of pounds and years of liveaboard junk.
  2. Verified VHF radio working, and USCG safety equipment for 42' boat.
  3. Scoped engine room for any movable items, things that could shift.
  4. Verified battery charge for starting
  5. Checked oil, antifreeze, and transmission fluid levels
  6. Checked overall engine appearance and connections.
  7. Checked seacock positions for cooling
  8. Started her up, set RPM at 800, watched oil pressure, water temp and raw water out exhaust, all checked out.
  9. Put her in/out of gear at dock checking thrust and moving rudder to check operation.
  10. Untied lines and cast off!

I probably forgot something in that list... it all flew by so fast after we left the marina... I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The only concern while running, was excess heat over 1400 rpm. I'm going to be checking out the cooling system to see what that's about, could easily be a sea-chest with too much gunk, impeller, fouled heat exchanger, etc. etc.

gotcha

i thought you were contemplating having the fuel removed, polished, tanks cleaned, etc

gotcha

i thought you were contemplating having the fuel removed, polished, tanks cleaned, etc

Ahh, yes. I realized a few things after cleaning up the boat and lots of consultation. Spoke with the mechanic, he had redone the fuel lines after a leak. Was not concerned about the fuel. Also they were running the heater regularly. I ran it also as a test. Checked filters and fuel, saw nothing. Felt a lot more comfortable after she started right away without issue and ran for a while at dock.

Still something to look out for, but not as large as concern now.

Just to tie this old thread off, moved the boat 190nm to Wickford RI, she purred.

Used a captain and mechanic mate from Jersey, they were excellent, and I enjoyed the trip immensely.

The overheating was easily solved by replacing the heat exchanger which was 75% blocked. The old one can probably be cleaned, but for time...

Back
Top Bottom