Racor 500 filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldenDawn

Vessel Name
Golden Dawn
Vessel Make
Krogen 42
I have a pair of Racor 500 filters (vintage 2001) in my KK42 and was doing my pre-season inventory of filters today. I noted that I have both types of filters (2010-2) - one with teeth and one with a tube (see upper photo). It is my understanding the "toothed" version requires the rubber spacer (see lower photo) and the "tube" version requires no spacer. A couple questions: 1. these would seem to function quite differently and I am not sure how that would work? and 2. I think the "tubed" filters are the newer version? IMG_9069a.jpg

IMG_9070a.jpg

Don't know about yours, but I bought a brand new knock-off from eBay for $20.00

It has metric threads but otherwise identical. We will use it for bulk diesel storage tank on friends ranch.

Dawn
Which elements are in your 500s now?

The ones with the rubber spacer are so they will fit older filter housings. Th new filters will fit both. Racor, now Parker made the change around 2005? I haven’t seen filters with the rubber spacers several years so that gives you an idea on how old the filters maybe. You may not want to use them.

Last edited:
The element on the right is the "new" version. If you have a stockpile of the old style, save the rubber insert from the outgoing dirty element and reuse until you run out of the old elements. The old insert is no longer a stocked part. I had just read somewhere that you can make a suitable insert with the correct size rubber hose.
Brand new RACOR elements are $12 retail here at the ships store.

Back
Top Bottom