Trawler Forum

Trawler Forum (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/)
-   Power Systems (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s6/)
-   -   Cummins 6BT 5.9L-M starter removal (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s6/cummins-6bt-5-9l-m-starter-removal-42829.html)

DLETF 02-01-2019 03:04 PM

Cummins 6BT 5.9L-M starter removal

1 Attachment(s)
Two different diesel mechanics have attempted to remove the starter. They found the bolt heads of all 3 bolts stripped by a previous installer. Two bolts have been removed but not the one next to the engine even after dismantling the starter. They have presented me with two options:
1. Attempt to cut the starter off the engine
2. Remove the engine from the vessel, if option #1 is not successful
I would appreciate the opinions of the TF members.
Thanks

bayview 02-01-2019 03:16 PM

A PIX of the bolt would help.

bayview 02-01-2019 03:21 PM

if the bolt goes through "ears" on the cast starter housing then cutting the ear off and removing the starter would give more access.

I assume that this is the same starter from your other thread but you didn't mention a rusted in place bolt.

DLETF 02-01-2019 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bayview (Post 736786)
A PIX of the bolt would help.

Please define a "PIX."
Thanks

DLETF 02-01-2019 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bayview (Post 736789)
if the bolt goes through "ears" on the cast starter housing then cutting the ear off and removing the starter would give more access.

I assume that this is the same starter from your other thread but you didn't mention a rusted in place bolt.

Yes, same starter.

Rebel112r 02-01-2019 03:48 PM

If that inside bolt is not coming out by normal means, then you may have to destroy the starter to get it out. A Dremel tool to cut a groove in the mounting flange, and then a big hammer and chisel to try a break flange, be nice if it was cast but is probably aluminum. If you can get it to break than the starter is out of way, to work on remaining bolt. If I was doing it, it would not be a good time to have grandkids around..

Ski in NC 02-01-2019 04:01 PM

Sometimes a slightly smaller socket on extension can be hammered onto the screw head through an extension. The hammering tends to loosen bonds too. Try that first.

Failing that, cut the starter apart with a grinder, chisel, hammer, whatever. Patience and persistence will get it.

No way would I pull the engine for that.

Xsbank 02-01-2019 04:22 PM

Lots of ways to remove bolts, most of them tedious and hard work. Can't comment further until we get pictures (pix).

BIG CAT 02-01-2019 04:37 PM

Imo. They can't be much of a mechanic if they don't have the tools or knowledge to remove the bolt.

They sell a bolt extractor that looks like a socket. It has spiral tappered splines on the inside. You pound it on with a hammer then use a socket or wrench on the outside of the extractor. Second option is to use aircraft drills to remove the bolt head. If that doesn't work then cut off tool. Airsaw,sawzal, gas axe ect.

Maerin 02-01-2019 04:52 PM

If you can get a 6 pt socket onto the remaining bolt, it may help to try to tighten it rather than go for backing it off right away. There may be enough purchase on the bolt to move it & break it loose, then try to back it out. Always helps to try to crack a bolt tighter before attempting to loosen it.

FF 02-02-2019 07:42 AM

Better living thru Chemistry.

A soaking for a week with PB Blaster or your favorite might help.

Rust in, the bolts could mean a partial sinking , so you may need a starter yet.

Sometimes a quality (not Chinese) set of Vice Grips can be ground down to fit to grab a bolt head.

Good hunting!

BIG CAT 02-02-2019 08:15 AM

You could also weld an oversized nut to what's left of the bolt head.

High Wire 02-02-2019 08:31 AM

Pix = Picture(s)

The Other Gary 02-02-2019 10:06 AM

Most real Cummins Mechanics know that the starter bolts are special and require a 10mm 12 point socket. It is the only 12 point socket needed on the entire engine.
I have one taped to the lid of my tool box labeled for starter removal.

They come out easy as pie with a couple of extentions and the RIGHT socket.

Order 3 new bolts for the install if the ones you have are damaged.

BIG CAT 02-02-2019 10:46 AM

this is the style socket we use on cats. our are 1/2" or 5/8"

https://www.amazon.com/Steelman-Pro-...+swivel+socket

tiltrider1 02-02-2019 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Other Gary (Post 737022)
Most real Cummins Mechanics know that the starter bolts are special and require a 10mm 12 point socket. It is the only 12 point socket needed on the entire engine.

If this is correct, then I would visit a tool truck. Get one 10mm spline socket and one 10mm spiral socket. These sockets are designed to work on damaged bolts.

It is possible that some one has created an undersized head which might require some reshaping with a dremel tool. Of course to do this you might have to destroy the starter to make room.

DLETF 02-02-2019 11:26 AM

Pictures of starter bolt

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by High Wire (Post 737012)
Pix = Picture(s)

Got it; pictures attached.

ksanders 02-02-2019 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Other Gary (Post 737022)

Exactly! I have one as well, for the exact same reason!

Iím with others here, if the bolt head is truly stripped there are several methods to remove it, even if you have to as others have indicated destroy or take apart the starter to get more access.

Ski in NC 02-02-2019 12:42 PM

I think the OP is discussing the third bolt which is behind the starter. No access to it at all except through an extension.

BIG CAT 02-02-2019 12:57 PM

This is one of the style extractors I keep on my truck. They should work for what the op is needing to do.

https://www.amazon.com/Socket-Damage.../dp/B01GO83YTK