Grilling, Convection or Infrared

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

O C Diver

Guru
Vessel Name
Slow Hand
Vessel Make
Cherubini Independence 45
Looking at buying a new grill for the boat and taking the current one to the house. The current one is convection and works well. I tend to cook with the cover closed, on the lowest setting and I would describe it more as baking at a higher temperature. The model I'm considering is infrared, and they tell you specifically not to close the lid while cooking. This seems more like broiling than baking. Anyway, looking for opinions on infrared grilling.

I'm considering a Solaire grill.

Ted
I was looking for a compact grill for boat & motorhome and looked at that same model.
I talked to their tech reps about ability to control heat and they said it was meant for hi heat and open lid. They said burners last 1.5 - 2 yrs (due to hi heat) and were fairly expensive.
I was also concerned when they said it shouldn't be used w/o their mount or stand - can't put it on a picnic table etc.

I finally decided and bought a Kuuma Grill https://www.kuumaproducts.com/grills
About half the price of a Solaire.
I wanted a compact one but Kuuma has several models. Look well made but waiting to try it out on next MH trip in Feb.

Don,
Appreciate the information, may have to keep the one I have on my boat, and consider something else for home.

Thanks!

Ted

Ted
For home we have one of the Weber's and like it.
It's also one of the popular ones for the RVers.
Several different sizes and that one does have decent lo level heat control.

Yep, hard to beat the Weber Q series. I have the gas version on the boat and the electric Weber at home. I personally like the electric for convenience, plug it in and ten minute heat up and it’s grilling. Same Weber quality.

Solaire and Weber Q

Ted,
I have had both of these BBQ's on the boat. The Solaire's newest portable model, is the largest of their tailgate series. The solaire is definitely a searing BBQ and has a learning curve to it, because of that. However, I have grown to appreciate how well it can grill and how fast it does it. It does not dry out the items being grilled. I use it on a table top. It makes the best steaks and chicken.
The weber Q is a traditional well made bbq, but it is more of a slow cooker. It works well and and I have used one for many years RV'ing and boating.
I guess it comes down to what types of bbq'ing you do .

Bill

We have a TEC Cherokee We have used it for over 10 years with no problems. It ain't the prettiest but the is no open flame. a thermal glass panel sits between the IR burner and the grates so there is never a flare up. TEC Grills Online

Ted,
I have had both of these BBQ's on the boat. The Solaire's newest portable model, is the largest of their tailgate series. The solaire is definitely a searing BBQ and has a learning curve to it, because of that. However, I have grown to appreciate how well it can grill and how fast it does it. It does not dry out the items being grilled. I use it on a table top. It makes the best steaks and chicken.
The weber Q is a traditional well made bbq, but it is more of a slow cooker. It works well and and I have used one for many years RV'ing and boating.
I guess it comes down to what types of bbq'ing you do .

Bill

I think I could adapt to a searing grill meat, but I also use the grill to slow cook fish etc., and two grills on the boat just isn't going to happen. Sad part is that I looked at the Solaire grills maybe 5 years ago when they offered them with convection burners and didn't buy one. :banghead:

Ted

Infra red is great for steaks, pork, lamb and chicken, etc. Sears well and cooks quickly. EG - an inch steak is ~ <3 mins a side - medium rare.

You can also use it for fish - just raise it above the infrared plate with an oven rack an inch or so.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom