ended out trawler search

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksanders

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
DOS PECES
Vessel Make
BAYLINER 4788
Thanks to all the folks that helped us in our new boat search.

We looked at lots of trawlers out there for use in the Pacific Northwest and Alaska.

What we settled on may not be considered a trawler by some, because it is capable of operating at up to 16 knots cruise speed, but we intend on operating it at displacement speed. Lots of "trawlers" fit into this catergory.

We ended up with a Bayliner 4788 pilothouse.

Why this particular model?

It has:

A over 800 mile cruise range at displacement speeds.
Full enclosed pilothouse
Three staterooms
Two heads with showers
Large salon and galley
No teak decks, or balsa coring to suprise us down the road
A history of Zero bottom problems, or other structural issues.

And is a proven Pacific Northwest boat, fully capable of operation in coastal areas anywhere we might want to go.

Again, thanks for the help. Our new boat is currently in Anacortes getting some work done in preparation to making the trip home to Seward Alaska.

...Kevin

Kevin,
The 4788 is a great cruising boat. You will get close to trawler economy at hull speed and it is a well proven, well regarded vessel with a strong following. Congrats on the new boat!!!

It's true,...that boat offers a lot, particularly for someone wanting the pilothouse style. Great layout, space, comfortable, nice Live-Aboard. It's not your Father's Bayliner.

healhustler wrote:
*It's not your Father's Bayliner.
******** That's a great point!

I'm quite famiiar with the 4588 & the 4788 and consider them to be a good value. Not to mention speeds in the teens which really come in handy when encountering tides in the northwest & Alaska. Plenty of room, nice traffic pattern, great pilot house, very nice salon, galley, etc. My only gripe is ER access. (Pretty damn tight.)

A very close friend of mine had a 4588 and we use to cruise it quite a bit. I remember my first trip as I was not looking forward to 70 miles of open Pacific on a Bayliner. It was great and the boat handled the sea with no problems. Good choice!

Thanks Guys!

Peter Leech strongly advised us to buy a 4588 or 4788.* We didn't take that advice but*given the source we had to seriously consider it.* His reasons were simple:

- lots of features for the dollar

- known entity which means relatively easy resale and relatively easy service

I'm sure it will serve you well.

Great!! Someone smart enough to realize that a "trawler" is not required to go cruising!!

Kevin,
I am sure you are already aware of it but there is a very active bayliner owner's forum that will be a tremendous resource for you and your 4788. VERY knowledgeable boaters there and many of them know more about the bigger motor yachts than the factory staff may know! :) Post some pics so we can oogle your new ride.

Thanks, I've been on the BOC for several years. I came here during the search to broaden my horizions as to the other boats out there.

This is an interesting place. I don't post much but read pretty much every day.

4788hauled.jpg

N I C E.......now some interior pics asap, please.

Is that a "cockpit motor yacht"?

GonzoF1 wrote:
Is that a "cockpit motor yacht"?
*A cockpit motoryacht would typically be an aft cabin style boat with a cockpit thrown on the back like this one:

l_Carver_Yachts_45_Cockpit_Motor_Yacht_2007_AI-234426_II-11264251.jpg

THe 4588/4788 is a classic raised pilothouse design.

Even I like the Bayliner MY. It's the bridge. Such a commanding position** ...from any place you look at it. The Bayliner boat Jericho stopped at Point Baker a few years ago and we socialized and went to Lake Bay the next day where we anchored. Well, they anchored and little Willy tied alongside. As I recall they cruised at about 10 knots. Fast enough to make an authoritative bow wave. I think it's the bridge that makes that boat though. I lik'em.

nomadwilly wrote:Fast enough to make an authoritative bow wave.
That's funny ... most naval architects work very hard to prevent wasting energy (fuel) to produce "authoritative" and drag producing bow waves. Bayliners are famous for their*lack*of success*in that area.

Icon status you say. Certainly with Meridian, Carver and other Bayliner owners -*good people all.

I remember when they were introduced at the Seattle boat show. They were quite the star of the show. Nice boat, Which engines?

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Friday 16th of September 2011 09:05:44 PM

This one has 330's.

We bought is as a Repo for a song. The engines were not taken care of. We decided to re-power the boat with Reman Cummins 330's so that we could start out with zero time engines from the get go. This work is being done as we speak in Anacortes, Wa.

Was it in dry storage along R ave? I looked at a couple at Banana boats that were pretty nice! There was a 4588 that they said the owner was desperate to unload, but those Hinos scare me to death! My mechanic calls them grenades.

Your going to love that boat, very comfortable and great layout.

Larry B

Larry,
What is it you don't like about the hino diesels? Parts are harder to find but everything i have ever heard or read about them indicates that if they are maintained they are rock solid engines that will go for a very long time. Just like my perkins engine is in a lot of farm tractors, there are a ton of trucks out there with hino diesel engines.

I have Perkins too and you are correct, very reliable engine. I would agree with you on that. But they are A totally different engine than the Hino. Operating at the opposite end of the performance spectrum in a 4588. The 4588 Bayliners came out with Hinos and they have less than a stellar record in that hull. Bayliner moved on to the cummins with much better success. My mechanic has worked on many of these boats and why I asked him to look at this boat with me. At the price they were asking it looked like a great deal but he took a quick look at the engines and said they are original Hinos and you might as well plan on repowering it if you buy this boat. Like you he also said their parts are very expensive and they are too small for the application. Now if you want to do trawler speed they would probably be fine. The boat is in excellent condition, but with those engines it's not an easy sell!

My boat never had Hino engines. It came with 330 cummins*from the factory. It did not come from Bananna belt.

Nothing wrong with the Hino engines except that they're getting more difficult to find parts for.

The size of the engine you need in this or any hull depends on what you want to do with it. When we made the re-power decision I seriously considered going with a pair of Naturally Aspirated cummins engines, and sticking with displacement speeds.

It was a short consideration though. The 330's will allow for a 15 knot cruise if I want or need the speed. I don't see myself cruising at that speed though. Putting along at displacement speeds will be just fine. I'll run up on plane occasionally just to*put some load on the engines once in awhile.

These are from the listing. My photos are not of the same quality.

These boats have allot of room for a 47 footer. Enough teak to be nautical, but not so much as to make it dark inside.

Fuel capacity is 440 gal, water 200 gal, waste 40+ gal. Vaccuflush, generator, 840 AH battery bank, inverter, 750 lb cap davit for the skiff, washer/dryer, icemaker, flybridge fridge & sink, *etc...

We're pulling the large holding tank and adding a Raritan hold-n-treat, and are adding diesel heat. We're also adding a KVH V3 sat com system for telephone anf internet access.

For electronics I pulled the Furuno Vx2 navnet system off of our old boat. 4Kw 48 NM open array, two 10" displays, redundant gps sensors gyro, and redundant chart chips. I'll be adding a second sounder module for redundancy, and have already put in redunant transducers. I'll probably add a third display to the network so we can dedicate one display for each major function.

On the new engines we're putting in Atena digital tachs, boost, pyro gauges, and it already has floscan fuel computers.

All this will be done by the last week in October when I sign off on the work and put the boat away for the winter. Our trip home to Alaska will be late April.

3618715_0_20110601132340_4_0.jpg

3618715_0_20110601132340_10_0.jpg

3618715_0_20110601132609_3_0.jpg

3618715_0_20110601132913_3_0.jpg

-- Edited by ksanders on Sunday 18th of September 2011 11:38:38 PM

-- Edited by ksanders on Sunday 18th of September 2011 11:39:59 PM

-- Edited by ksanders on Sunday 18th of September 2011 11:45:16 PM

-- Edited by ksanders on Sunday 18th of September 2011 11:49:46 PM

Yup** ........That's what I remember.

Like I say** ....it's the bridge.

Wow. A Command Center indeed. I wonder if I could fit one of those in my Pilothouse.

nomadwilly wrote:
Yup** ........That's what I remember.

Like I say** ....it's the bridge.
*Well, the Bayliner Command Bridge wouldn't fit into my pilothouse, but it fit perfectly into Eric's boat. *Want no more.

Attachments

• willard helm.jpg
    willard helm.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 79
  • williard command center.jpg
    williard command center.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 72
Well that was quite some marriage hustler. I almost missed it and then I thought hey that's my GPS and my sounder and and. And then BAM in my face there's my chair w the wood elevator Pieces. Chris and I had a howling snicker over that. I wrote on another thread "things aren't always as they seem" and it came around and got me! Thanks ..that was fun.

That's a pretty cool trick, Healhustler, but you covered up Eric's 'Willy Hole' under his wheel.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom