AIS configuration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seattleboatguy

Vessel Name
Slow Bells
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 38
This is so embarrassing. The boaters in the USA are apparently the only boaters on the planet that can not be trusted to configure their new AIS box. I knew if I lived long enough I would encounter a silly federal regulation. The screen shot below is from the em-trak website.

ais_install.jpg

ais_install.jpg

Oh man, I could never do that myself. It’s sooo complicated. People outside of the USA must be sooo smart.

I'm no fan of over regulation, but I have to say that this is one I have come to appreciate after boating outside the US, and inside. I can't tell you how many non-US boats I have encountered broadcasting incorrect AIS info.

Common mistakes are

- Boat length number in feet rather than meters, making the boat look 3x bigger than it is.

- Blank or clearly made up MMSI numbers, like all zeros

- No boat name

So it would seem people world wide need baby sitting.

I'm no fan of over regulation, but I have to say that this is one I have come to appreciate after boating outside the US, and inside. I can't tell you how many non-US boats I have encountered broadcasting incorrect AIS info.

Common mistakes are

- Boat length number in feet rather than meters, making the boat look 3x bigger than it is.

- Blank or clearly made up MMSI numbers, like all zeros

- No boat name

So it would seem people world wide need baby sitting.

I share twisted’s experience.

I completely agree although I have noticed Canada seems to be more strict about who is required to use the units, seems a bit hit or miss here.

I'm in the process of buying a boat with AIS (both transmit and receive) and will need to change the boat name. It will be interesting to see what hoops we'll have to jump through to update the name on the unit.

I'm in the process of buying a boat with AIS (both transmit and receive) and will need to change the boat name. It will be interesting to see what hoops we'll have to jump through to update the name on the unit.
Most unit's are no problem changing the name & vessel dimensions but the big hoop you'll need to jump through is changing the MMSI number or getting the PO to release the existing number to you.

Most unit's are no problem changing the name & vessel dimensions but the big hoop you'll need to jump through is changing the MMSI number or getting the PO to release the existing number to you.

Agreed. Releasing the number should be part of the written agreement if you don’t have a relationship with the selling owner. The MMSI stays with the boat. Boat US makes changing owners easy.

In one of Tony Fleming's videos, he notes that the live AIS view shows Venture as a sailboat for some reason. I guess someone programmed it wrong.
I've seen boats with a broader beam than length too.

In one of Tony Fleming's videos, he notes that the live AIS view shows Venture as a sailboat for some reason. I guess someone programmed it wrong.
I've seen boats with a broader beam than length too.
In Canada you MUST get your MMSI issued to you from the government, no matter the type. In the US you can make up your own as I found out when some in our squadron of CPSS were wanting a group number. I couldn't believe what I read and had to convince them it is different on this side of the border.
Sure enough, in the US you can make up your own group MMSI number. I don't know about other types of MMSI numbers.

This is so embarrassing. The boaters in the USA are apparently the only boaters on the planet that can not be trusted to configure their new AIS box. I knew if I lived long enough I would encounter a silly federal regulation. The screen shot below is from the em-trak website.

ais_install.jpg

ais_install.jpg

I found the software online and did it myself. Problem is many people can't handle simple things and inputting the wrong info can wreak havoc, hence there is what may seem a silly rule.

I found the software online and did it myself. Problem is many people can't handle simple things and inputting the wrong info can wreak havoc, hence there is what may seem a silly rule.

That's interesting, because dealers aren't allowed to sell an un-programmed AIS. But obviously some do. Actually, now that I think about it, I bought an Em-trak from West Marine that wasn't programmed. If I recall correctly I was supposed to fill out some form with Em-Trak and they would send either an SD card or a file that I could place on an SD card that would program the device. Seems like a smart way to solve the problem and not have to rely on dealers to do programming which would seriously hamper distribution. But I had Pro-AIS so programmed it myself.

That boat length thing is rampant in the US, too. I can't believe how many 30-meter AIS signals turn out to be a 30-foot boat when they come into view.

I can't or not allowed to enter my MMSI when setting up my AIS??

Opps......:angel::socool::socool:

Name is usually not an issue but many devices only allow the MMSI number to be entered one time before requiring intervention by someone with the right software or by shipping it back to manufacturer.

Good luck!

Name is usually not an issue but many devices only allow the MMSI number to be entered one time before requiring intervention by someone with the right software or by shipping it back to manufacturer.
Any idea if a Furuno FA-50 requires this? The one in my boat has the old name/mmsi in it and I need to update it. I seem to recall a password popping up on the setup page. Can't check it myself as it's 90 minutes away in a warehouse for winter storage.

Any idea if a Furuno FA-50 requires this? The one in my boat has the old name/mmsi in it and I need to update it. I seem to recall a password popping up on the setup page. Can't check it myself as it's 90 minutes away in a warehouse for winter storage.

Unfortunately I don't know specifically with regards to the FA-50. I did check the manual and the instructions are pretty straight forward since you get a PC connected via the COM port or over a network. Section 1.8.2 specifies how to set the static information for using the transponder function. It does NOT however, state that you can only enter this information once. Every one I've ever had specifically warns of this in the manual. However YMMV.

https://www.furunousa.com/-/media/s...s/operation_manuals/fa50_operators_manual.pdf

we manage to find on the net the procedures for reprogramming oneself, but there for this furuno, I dont know ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't understand the issue. Don't these AIS transceivers have be be programed by an expert dealer. And if they don't know that a SeaRay just isn't 90 feet long they should get another job.

Don't understand the issue. Don't these AIS transceivers have be be programed by an expert dealer. And if they don't know that a SeaRay just isn't 90 feet long they should get another job.

In many cases the buyer fills out a form with the info, sends it to the dealer (often a mailorder dealer) who programs according to the info the buyer provided.

Measurement are all in meters which is the standard for all first world, second world, and third world countries except one. I'm sure lots of people fill out "90" for their 90' SeaRay.

The other thing that confuses people who are not paying attention is that the dimensions actually locate the GPS on the boat, and are not a simple length and width. You provide the GPS's distance from the bow, distance from the stern, distance from the stbd side, and distance from the port side. That confounds a lot of people.

A "technician" configuring a boat gizmo wrong? NO, say it ain't SO!

I've seen it all. No vessel name, Length exaggerated or non existent, incorrect position on boat. I totally understand when I see a target going in reverse. Most of the time it is a ferry in Nantucket Sound. But sideways? An incorrect target is a sure sign that someone on that boat is not experienced and should be closly monitored.

I have the Matsutec HP-33A transponder and I love it. It includes the best GPS antenna I have ever used, and even locks on under the metal roof of our marina. Its software has an easy place to input all the parameters you need, and if you are in the USA like I am, you can get your MMSI from BoatUS online. I have no financial affiliation with Matsutec, just love their products.

You have to get a new boat call sign which does not come with the boat, and then You can get an MMSI to get the AIS configured for your boat.

The quickest way to get a call sign that I know of anyway is to apply to the FCC for a Restricted Radiotelephone Licence. "RR" licence. Once you have this licence you can apply to the FCC again for a call sign for your vessel. Having a call sign will also give you an MMSI number. There are fees involved in doing this, but the RR licence is good for life. The call sign may be good for 10 years, but I don't have the information in front of me, so I'm not positive about that.
You can also get an MMSI from Boat US I believe, but that is only good for
U.S. waters. The regular FCC licence (RR) is good for international voyages and will also allow the use of an SSB radio. Even operating a VHF radio in foreign countries is iffy without a licence. No licence required to operate it in the U.S. waters.

I've seen it all. No vessel name, Length exaggerated or non existent, incorrect position on boat. I totally understand when I see a target going in reverse. Most of the time it is a ferry in Nantucket Sound. But sideways? An incorrect target is a sure sign that someone on that boat is not experienced and should be closly monitored.

Sideways... makes me wonder if there's not a problem with their heading sensor. As in, someone stowed something metal near it. Definitely puts the vessel into the 'assume nothing and steer clear' category for me, too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom