Reasonable Insurance Providers - Q4 2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdmiralS

Vessel Name
VARKA
Vessel Make
Helmsman Trawlers 43 PH
Hi All,

Looking for members who have a new*er boat in the 40ft range and any recommendations for Insurance Brokers/ Companies.

Have gotten an astronomical quote from Geico/BoatUS (Insures my current 30' boat)

Already reached out to -

1. Geico/BoatUS (Astronomical)
2. Bristol Insurance of Seattle (Waiting on Quote)
3. NBOA (Waiting on Quote)
4. Global Marine (Waiting on Quote)

Any recommendations are appreciated!

We currently have Boat/US and the policy is reasonable, so far. You might look at MTOA. They have some good policies but you would have to join in order to get them. They may give you a quote before you join.

If you'll be in the US and Canadian waters, https://www.hagerty.com
They cover those waters to 25 miles out. It covers my range and is cheapest for me with a 70 year old, 83' wood boat.

You need a good survey. I believe you can get extensions for trips outside the usual coverage.

We currently have Boat/US and the policy is reasonable, so far. You might look at MTOA. They have some good policies but you would have to join in order to get them. They may give you a quote before you join.
You needn't be a member of MTOA to get a quote. MTOA doesn't offer insurance, but works with the Jack Martin Agency in Annapolis. MTOA membership benefits include policy endorsements from the carriers working with the agency that are available exclusively to MTOA members. Things like improved coverage for electronics, modified depreciation, all worthwhile for the cost of membership (around $60/yr.) Well worth it.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Looking for members who have a new*er boat in the 40ft range and any recommendations for Insurance Brokers/ Companies.

Have gotten an astronomical quote from Geico/BoatUS (Insures my current 30' boat)

Already reached out to -

Unfortunately what works for one person/boat may not work for another person/boat. Best to get a dozen or so quotes and compare. Try all the big names. Google "boat insurance". I tend to focus on insurance companies that are more than "car" insurance companies (i.e. Geico is a car insurance company). If you dont want to spend the time, use an insurance agent. Just know that companies that sell policies directly may charge more going through an agent. I would recommend trying Charter Lakes.

I would add Pantaenius to your list.

I have also heard, but not verified, it might be worth getting a quote via MTOA.

I am an insurance agent and I went with Chubb. It was about $200 higher than the cheapest but the coverages were outstanding. For example:
-Emergency towing up the property damage limit no deductible
-Pet injury up to $2000 no deductible
-Temporary substitute watercraft up to $10,000 no deductible
-SAR expenses up to $25,000
-Reasonable costs for hull inspection after grounding no deductible
-$2500 to haul in advance of a hurricane no deductible

Other goodies as well. Worth getting a quote.

For the BC coast I would highly recommend Dolphin Insurance.

Back
Top Bottom