Shopping for Dinghy Motor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seevee

Guru
Vessel Make
430 Mainship
Looking for a gas outboard motor in the 8 to 10 hp range for the dinghy, probably in the 5 to 10 year old range.

What are some of the better motors out there?

I've got a great 6 hp Suzuki that has been great, but just too small to push the boat around. It's also got a built in gas tank, which I also like. It's older, perhaps 15 years old, but has less than 1 hour on it when I bought it. Would love to find it's larger cousin in excellent shape.

Other good ones?

I like the Tohatsu/Mercury in that range. Very reliable.

Ken

They are all good.
I like engines w the remote fuel. I use a 3 gallon tank.

And not get out bid for it... :)

I have had a number of Yamaha outboards, generators, snowmobiles etc. and had wonderful experiences with them all. I had a 6 HP Tohatsu for the last 5 years and told the company rep I was going to use it as an anchor. Nothing but problems with it right from the day it I bought it new. It was likely just a lemon but I would never buy another.

I've got a 8hp Merc two stroke made in 2003. Really a Tohatsu. It is one of the nicest running two strokes that I have owned, and I have owned many. Starts super easy, idles smooth, does not stall. A nice feature is shift is in the throttle handle so if you put a PVC extension on it you can shift from the extension. Same basic engine in the 8-9.9-15hp so might as well get the higher hp. I don't like four strokes in motors this small. Heavy and vibrate. Yamaha two strokes in this hp class are very nice, but hard to find or pricey.

We have an 8hp Mercury, 2010 model. It came as a tender motor on the boat we purchased, and I had no maintenance history and did not run it during the survey (intentional). I replaced the Livingston with an AB Inflatables 9.5, and hung the Merc on it. My expectations were very low.

I put in fresh gas, and it started on the second pull. Ran it for a few months in occasional tender duty. It runs quietly and efficiently, and starts without trouble (we run ethanol-free with Seafoam). It is quiet and smooth enough to be pleasant puttering around, which is 75% of our mission. It will plane the AB with both of us and the Pug aboard and run 16 knots. The oils were changed halfway through summer.

Last week I had the local shop replace the impeller and a few other things. They said the lower unit had never been removed/impeller was original, and it looked very good. Coincidentally they had the same motor, a few years older, for sale on the floor for about $1300.

So the 8hp Mercury is turning out to be a great little performer. It would be a great value for $1300.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom