Impellers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomsboat

Vessel Make
Mainship Trawler
How often do you replace your generator and engine impellers and when do you replace them summer or winter service in the north east. Tom

After the recommended hours in our engines service manual.

If you do an annual replacement then the spring is probably the best time as you start the season with fresh ones.

I don't replace mine every year. I look at them every year or so and replace maybe every five years.

David

I replace mine every 2 years since they sit over the winter here. I use a tool from impellertool.com. Really helps to make the change easy.

I remove and inspect mine once or twice a year. When reinstalling I grease the housing, shaft and end plate with water proof grease (per old manuals). At 5 years I replace them and keep as emergency spares.
The grease really helps drawing water on the first start and keeps from burning the impeller in a dry housing. When I worked in yards and owned a yard, I noticed others impellers were often ok in the middle, but the ends were cracked and hard. I assumed it was from running dry. It's how my dad (Chief Engineer) taught me. I only found the passage in an old manual a few years ago. All old geezers I know grease their impeller housing.

Works on current pair of Detroits, Onan and Perkins generators and every engine I've owned or maintained.

I replace mine every 2 years since they sit over the winter here. I use a tool from impellertool.com. Really helps to make the change easy.

Nice, but they don't list the price....that means big $$$$:eek:

We change them annually on my schedule. With one engine I try to reduce the failure points. Our Northern Lights generator and FL SP135 use the same impeller which makes stocking spares easier.

Nice, but they don't list the price....that means big $$$$:eek:

I don’t remember exactly what it cost but I think it was around $40 to 50. It makes changing my starboard impeller possible so no matter what the cost was it was worth it...

Imo, a lot also depends on hours. Put 1,200+ hours on the engine in 2017. Normally change the engine impeller annually. When I pulled it in 2018, half or more of blades had broken off. With my normal 400 to 500 hours, the blades are still intact after a year. I'm of the opinion that they don't go from good to broken off in a short period of time. So instead of trying to figure how fatigued the rubber in the blades is, I just replace it annually (under $30).

My generator impeller seems to have a much shorter life. So I replace it annually or when I see impeller bits in my after pump strainer.

tmp_6355-20181111_0525013615861080557524647.jpg

tmp_6355-20181111_052535794282289808809275.jpg

Ted

Back
Top Bottom