Heated Racor filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

koliver

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Retreat
Vessel Make
C&L 44
I suspect those are designed for use by “Ice Road” truckers.

When I worked in Highlevel Alberta Canada, winter time, I saw -46F. The logging camps had diesel stoves for heat and cooking. They would mount the fuel tanks inside the buildings so as to keep the fuel oil liquid.
So, IMO, heating the Racor will have limited if any value if the fuel in the supply tank is very cold.

On your boat, if it is so cold, the fuel is thick, I suspect you have other problems too. It would be better if you installed a block heater or a circulating coolant pump to keep the entire engine and cooling system warm. I used both when I was in Alberta. The advantage of a circulating pump was, start the engine, you have heat in the cab without waiting for the engine to warm up.

Last edited:
While I can't answer relative to the Racor, my Dodge truck with Cummins B diesel, has a heating element in the bowl of the fuel filter. If I remember correctly, it keeps the fuel above 32 degrees on cold days.

Ted

OTR trucks heat the fuel if its not winterized as wax comes out of solution and plugs the filters.

For trucks that fuel in FL and drive to Maine , there are chemicals to treat the fuel , as it will thicken in any cold place , not just the filters.

Probably not much use on a vessel for filter heaters.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom