ICW St. Andrews Sound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PMF1984

Guru
Vessel Name
Wanderer
Vessel Make
Pilgrim 40
I’m headed south and noticed on the charts that there is an alternative route at St. Andrews Sound to avoids the outside, which can be rough at times. active Captain has about a dozen hazard notes on this route relating to skinny water.

Has anyone taken this inside route?

John

Took it a few times, but prefer going outside from Brunswick to St. Marys. If you're able to play the tides, it's a big help. Jekyll Creek is skinny, we can't do it at low tide with our 5 ft draft, but mid tide or higher is OK.

Last edited:
We went aground going through there twice in one day, the first time was in Floyds cut, not really aground but had to use our Honda 15 outboard, because our Suzuki 200 was dragging in the mud, then after we made it through Floyd’s cut we managed to meet up with a sand bar in St. Andrews sound proper, and that was in a C Dory 25. The only other time we touched bottom while we were doing our loop, was in the ICW in New Jersey. Always soft though. We used Floyds cut because St Andrews sound was so snotty that day. Any way made it.
Eric

I have avoided it because only a couple times in my passings has St Andrews been that bad.

But from all the reports I have seen, I would only take it on the last 3 or so of a rising tide. You should have enough water by then and if you do go aground...you have more water coming in and time to wriggle free.

I took it once years ago when the seas were really kicking up on the sound side route. At the time, I didn't notice any particularly frightening water depths but decided enduring the rough water for a short time was better than the longer route the detour took.

Thanks guys, St. Andrew’s Sound was “good” today with only a short 3 foot sea on the beam. The plague of trawlers. The was with a 5 to 10 kt breeze from the north and slack (actually I really never noticed slack, it was running out when I started and was running in after I turned back in) low tide. All the other sounds had about a six inch sea the last two days. Anyway I hit at low tide so I thought that the lack of flow against the swells might help so I gave it a try. Will actually try to hit at high tide next time to try out the other route. Everything on a boat is easier the second time.

For us St Andrews sound was only followed by a plague of sand gnats at Jekyl Island and Brunswick. Beautiful place but holy mackerel those are some mean bugs

Back
Top Bottom