13 inch T8 fluorescent light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lgbert

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
OZ
Vessel Make
1998 Marine Trader Tradewinds
Looking for this type of bulb to replaced an under the counter light. Not easy to find or the shipping is more than the bulb. :banghead::banghead:Was considering replacing with a LED but still run into finding the proper length. Do not want to have to replace the 4 fixtures if cannot find a bulb. Will appreciate any and all suggestions, advice,ect

LED strip lights

There are many types of cheap LED strip lights, some you can cut to length, 12 volt, almost no draw, day light or warm. Ebay or Banggood ( I think India?) Fun to play with. many types,ie flat strips on aluminium, very bright.

Greetings,
Mr. lg. Changing the lighting elements from fluorescent tubes to LED strips while keeping the same fixture is a VERY easy process. Simply remove the electrical/electronic "guts" from the existing fixture including the tube sockets and replace with LED strips cut to length as suggested by Mr. SZ.
Are you sure the size is 13"? That's a pretty odd tube. Usual size is 12".

I have converted both our florescent lights to LED strip lighting, one of the best boat fixes you can do.

You can also get LED tubes to replace the flourescents. All you do is bypass balasts and wire 12V to the existing tube holders.

Looking for this type of bulb to replaced an under the counter light. Not easy to find or the shipping is more than the bulb. :banghead::banghead:Was considering replacing with a LED but still run into finding the proper length. Do not want to have to replace the 4 fixtures if cannot find a bulb. Will appreciate any and all suggestions, advice,ect

We ran into the same problem when we bought our boat. Ended up modernizing by removing the fluorescents and putting in LED. As RT said, you can remove the guts and reuse the same fixture or change out the entire fixture. We found it quite easy to buy a role of adhesive-backed, waterproof LED lightstrip, cut it to the desired length (there's probably room in your fixture to double up and have two strips for double the light), and solder the connections. Only takes a few minutes and it'll likely not ever burn out.

If you go w the strips & cut solder. Get goid quality stuff rated 10-30 V. I tried the cheapie stuff off eBay and they started to flicker & burn out after 6-12mo. Higher charge V was the suspected problem.

Greetings,
As a totally anal modification, which I make with a lot of low voltage electrical items aboard, is the addition of easily removable connections such as:

th

My thinking is if it broke once, it will again. While, perhaps, not the best type of connection, I apply liberal amounts of corrosion protection and tend not to use them in very damp locations.

One advantage with using these IMO is one can polarize the feed wires by alternating male and female ends so whatever device will only reconnect in one way.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom