Trawler Forum

Trawler Forum (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/)
-   General Classifieds (no boats) (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s68/)
-   -   Wanted: Raymarine C-80 monitor (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s68/raymarine-c-80-monitor-41149.html)

wyoboater 10-16-2018 03:54 PM

Raymarine C-80 monitor

My lcd display is showing signs of dying....local repair shop says parts can't be purchased anymore....Anyone have on lying around collecting dust? Reasonable price will be paid.

Please pvt me.

Thanks

djmarchand 10-16-2018 04:01 PM

The Raymarine C displays had a fundamental problem that caused lines across the screen and no image. If this is your problem it can probably be fixed fairly easily.

First press the screen around the edges when the lines are present. If it goes away then the problem is an internal connector that is backing out. You can permanently fix it by removing the display, opening it up and looking for the connector that connetcs to the display. Seat it well and trim away some of the casing that lets it work out again.

David

wyoboater 10-16-2018 04:27 PM

I will give that a try immediately! thanks!

boomerang 10-19-2018 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djmarchand (Post 707146)
The Raymarine C displays had a fundamental problem that caused lines across the screen and no image. If this is your problem it can probably be fixed fairly easily.

First press the screen around the edges when the lines are present. If it goes away then the problem is an internal connector that is backing out. You can permanently fix it by removing the display, opening it up and looking for the connector that connetcs to the display. Seat it well and trim away some of the casing that lets it work out again.

David

David ,have you ever actually done this before? You are basically correct in the diagnosis but the repair procedure you've outlined is very vague. It's a SOB getting to the actual ribbon connector in question & if the person attempting the repair isn't comfortable with a rather involved process of actually reseating the connection then it had best be left to a qualified repair facility or risk doing more harm than good to the display.

djmarchand 10-19-2018 08:07 AM

OK, so have a qualified repair facility fix it. The point of my post above is that it may be able to be fixed- permanently.

David

MartySchwartz 10-22-2018 03:12 PM

Contact Steve at Marine Electronics Repair. He was able to fix both issues that came up with my Raymarine C120 equipment. Very competent and reasonable.

Marty.........................

wyoboater 11-06-2018 09:20 AM

That may be the problem as it is intermittent. I fired the monitor up the day after you replied and let it run 2 days. No lines, good image. Fired it up today and lines, no image. Squeezing has no effect. I'm officially confused, lol.

wyoboater 11-06-2018 09:23 AM

Called him. He told me the monitor is toast. I might have a better response if I take it to him.

wyoboater 11-06-2018 09:36 AM

Desparation

However, in a case of desperation, I smacked it just above the top of the screen and VOILA! No lines, good display. Sounds to me as though it's a connector in the display? Fortunately, my son his gonna visit from Memphis today. He is a USCG Et 2nd class. The CG doesn't use this particular system, but he should be able to get it out of the case and find any loose connections..I would hope, anyway.

djmarchand 11-06-2018 11:48 AM

Yep, you almost certainly have a display where the connector backs out a bit. Pressing on the display fixes it temporarily most of the time, but yours required a bit more persuasion.

It has been years since I did mine but as best I can recall the connector rests up against part of the case which doesn't let it seat well. Just trim part of the plastic case away with a knife, seat the connector well and put it back together.

David

wyoboater 11-06-2018 01:35 PM

Thanks! I anxiously await my son's arrival!

sascudder 11-06-2018 04:49 PM

Raymarine C series displays

I have a C-80 and a C-120, if you get tired of slapping the screen on your monitor, it is pretty easy to find used units for fair prices on craigslist under "boat parts"

Steve 11-06-2018 08:51 PM

I a 70 on Ebay a couple of years ago worked fine I don't remember the cost but it was reasonable.

wyoboater 11-07-2018 02:43 PM

Well...the operation was a SUCCESS! There is a bit more to it than just "popping off the case", lol, but we got er done! Found a tiny dent in the ribbon cable that indicated what to trim. Got that done, seated the cable, put it all back together. When I hit the power button, instant display! True test will be underway, but I'm confident it will work.
Thank you gentlemen for your help! Saved me about $650.00, and that is significant! Beer on the back deck for all!