Lewmar Windlass Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rclarke246

Vessel Name
Lady Di
Vessel Make
2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
I'm always trying to learn so can someone please answer these 2 basic question about my Lewmar Windlass:

1) The top "spool", which I believe is called the gypsy, right? Ok, I've never understood why or how I'd need it for anchoring. The steel teeth on the main gear grab the chain and line rode so what is the purpose of the gypsy?

2) The small steel "stop", which is held back by the little, red plastic tab, will completely shear off (I've done it) if it becomes engaged while the windlass is reeling out. What's this about?

PS. I tried to rotate the photo 90 degrees, without success.

Attachments

• IMG_3880.jpg
    IMG_3880.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 87
Not everyone has all chain rode. The spool is for rope/line. Additionally, if something goes wrong with your primary anchor, does your backup anchor have all chain? I have a chain-only and am going to switch to one that can do line as well for the very reason above :)

My understanding of the terminology is that the portion of the windlass that "grabs" the chain is the gypsy, the spool above, for line is called the capstan head. It can be used separately of the gypsy for pulling in line on a secondary anchor or even for pulling your boat closer to the dock or mooring, against heavy wind or current.

My understanding of the terminology is that the portion of the windlass that "grabs" the chain is the gypsy, the spool above, for line is called the capstan head. It can be used separately of the gypsy for pulling in line on a secondary anchor or even for pulling your boat closer to the dock or mooring, against heavy wind or current.

The above is where a vertical capstan excels, as a horizontal drum will not allow pulling on a dock line through the hawse holes, but only over the bow roller.

With twin bow rollers, one aligned with the anchor chain, drawing on the gypsy, the other aligned with the drum, I can pull traps with the drum, or a secondary anchor, provided it has a rope rode.

I have 120’ of chain and 125’ of line. The teeth on the gypsy, if I have that right, grab both pretty well.

So, the spool could be implemented on the line if it slips the gypsy? I do not use a second anchor.

Learning, thanks!

I'm always trying to learn so can someone please answer these 2 basic question about my Lewmar Windlass:...2) The small steel "stop", which is held back by the little, red plastic tab, will completely shear off (I've done it) if it becomes engaged while the windlass is reeling out. What's this about?...
Hard to tell from the pic but if it`s like a Muir, the "stop" lug could be to aid manual retrieve in the event of windlass failure, by holding the rode while you sweat away rotating the drum with a sailboat type winch handle inserted in female part at the top of the windlass. Muir advise removing it, and refitting it only when required.

The capstan is also good for pulling prawn traps too. 8^)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom