Perkins Range 4 6.354 Fresh Water Drain Plug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artfulltune

Vessel Name
HAVEN
Vessel Make
Golden Star 35
I cannot locate the anti-freeze drain plug (if any). Help please, as it is time to drain and replace the fresh water system in my Perkins naturals.

Moved from "How To Use The Forum, Site News & Account Concerns" to "Power Systems"

After I haul the boat I close the seacock and run a freshwater hose into the top of the seastrainer then start the engine. I run for a while until the seawater is flushed with freshwater. I stop the engine, open the seaock and drain the seastrainer. I close the seaock and seatrainer, then fill the seastrainer with marine antifreeze (propylene glycol, either pink or purple). I then run the engine and continue to pour propylene glycol into the strainer with the engine running until eithe pink or purple has been coming out of the exhaust for a about 20 - 30 seconds. Then I shut down the engine and open the seaock and close the seastrainer again.

Hello Shrew and thanks for the reply. That process is exactly what I do for the "raw water, sea water side" of my diesels. I am, however, wanting to drain off all (or most) of the ethylene glycol anti-freeze coolant inside the engine moved thru the block by virtue of the water pump. Any further help in this regard is appreciated. Thank you again.

I cannot locate the anti-freeze drain plug (if any). Help please, as it is time to drain and replace the fresh water system in my Perkins naturals.

There is one above the starter and one in about the same location on the other side of the motor as well. Just went through this on our 1985 Perkins Range 4 6.354, I use the one on the port side so I didn't have to worry about the starter and installed a tap there after I was done draining so it will be easy next time.........:thumb:

Much appreciated. rochepoint! Thank you for your reply.

There is one above the starter and one in about the same location on the other side of the motor as well. Just went through this on our 1985 Perkins Range 4 6.354, I use the one on the port side so I didn't have to worry about the starter and installed a tap there after I was done draining so it will be easy next time.........:thumb:

The guys at Gartside have a marvelous antifreeze removal pump that works well on the plug above the starter. For twins it really makes it easy. No mess and no spill plus it is then able to pump AF back in via the same place, thus displacing air as it fills from the bottom.

Gartside eh? if it works it'll solve a couple of issues...thank you!

Gartside eh? if it works it'll solve a couple of issues...thank you!

Gartside is located in Sidney BC where both Roche Point and I keep our vessels. Not much help to an East Coaster but the hand pump is something they purchased somewhere.

I have a turbo T 6.354 and somebody put a simple ball valve in the port above the starter with a piece of tubing clamped to it. Works like a charm...No water on the starter and easy to drain. Just make sure you check the thread size, I have no idea what they are.

Yes, tried to locate Gartside but got stymied...anyhow, got my original ? answered and I'll go from there and figure something out...thanks guys for the help

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom