Bottom Paint Blisters near metal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jfelds

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Kokomo
Vessel Make
Hatteras LRC 48
Hi All:

We just hauled out and found an interesting issue. Almost everywhere I have metal below the waterline I am losing paint. In many spots it is down to the glass, having gone through the paint and primer.

However, none of the metal is wearing or pitted, or is pink which leads me to believe the bonding is ok? Why is this happening and how do I fix it before I cover it up with bottom paint? Thanks.

Jim
MV Kokomo

Hi Jim, how’s it going?
It could be electrolysis from a neighbors boat if it isn’t yours.
I had a similar issue with our 48, I determined it was from a neighbors boat. Was it like this during your last haul out.

Hi Don:

Thanks for the quick reply. It was NOT like this during last haul out which was last November at your marina in Chesapeake, or at least no one including me and the crew noticed it.

I'm going to put the positive from a meter on one of the thru hulls and and negative into the rocks and see if I can get a reading. If I don't get one, then it is likely a neighbors boat. Hope all is well. Thanks.

Best,

Jim
MV Kokomo

Don't panic, blistering or "burning" of paint has sometimes been associated with zincs....

If I recall, too much zinc may be an issue or it can be a zinc vs paint issue...not all that uncommon.

Don't panic, blistering or "burning" of paint has sometimes been associated with zincs....

If I recall, too much zinc may be an issue or it can be a zinc vs paint issue...not all that uncommon.

Very common If you use a heavy copper bottom paint like Petit Trinidad and have unregulated zinc anodes.

Last edited:
Hi All:

We just hauled out and found an interesting issue. Almost everywhere I have metal below the waterline I am losing paint. In many spots it is down to the glass, having gone through the paint and primer.

However, none of the metal is wearing or pitted, or is pink which leads me to believe the bonding is ok? Why is this happening and how do I fix it before I cover it up with bottom paint? Thanks.

Jim
MV Kokomo

Is the paint loss only around through hulls? If so, are the through hulls bonded assuming they are bronze?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom