1982 mt dc 1982 --- zincs!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geoleo

I bought a 1982 34 Marine Trader DC 6 months ago. It only had 2 zincs. One donut on the shaft and a hull zinc 6x4x1. The hull zinc only had a wire from its inside hull bolt to the rudder support bracket. This bracket looks to be made of mild steel and is badly rusted at the bottom. There is no zinc on the rudder. The prior owner said the hull zinc protects the rudder. The rudder shaft appears to be stainless steel. The prop zinc lasts 4 months. The Hull zinc goes away at a alarming rate !!! 6 Weeks and its gone!! I plan to rejuvenate the rudder bracket with rust remove, epoxy and zinc spray, paint. Then I plan to connect 8 Ga wires to the Hull zinc bolts, and run wires from the thru hull exhaust fitting bolts, to the swim platform fittings inside hull bolts each side . Then run another wire from the top of the SS rudder shaft square section to the inside Hull zinc bolt and another wire from the rejuvenated mild steel rudder support bracket. Then next time get a larger hull zinc but use old 3inch c/c ss bolts. Will this fix the situation?? Should I include the 2 - seacocks in the engine compartment?? Can I use 8 GA marine insulated marine tinned wire instead of the stiff solid 8 Ga copper wire? Will I need a zinc on the rudder surface?? Appreciate any comments . Thanks.

Attachments

• Irma 1.jpg
    Irma 1.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom