Bottom Paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Molly

Vessel Name
La Bella Vita
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 34T
My boat is on the hard until October. I just finished sanding the bottom. YUCK! Won't be doing that anytime soon!
I have no idea what type of paint was on there. The PO did not know. I didn't take it down to the fiberglass, but at least 1/2 the thickness is gone.
Time to pick the paint. I definitely want ablative. I travel at 10 knots or less and don't want build up. Pettit Hydrocoat looks good. It's water based and 40% copper. Here in SW Florida you need good stuff.

Has anyone used Hydrocoat? Seems to have good reviews. I never used water based bottom paint. Is that a concern? I'm in mostly salt water or brackish water. The boat comes out for 3 months each year. I would love to get 3 seasons out of this paint job. It's costly and a pain to do.

Hydrocoat is an ablative paint. They have two varieties: the standard one which is cheaper and Hydrocoat SR which has an anti-slime agent. I would go with the latter.

You don't know what was on there before? When you rub it with a wet finger does your finger turn the color of the bottom paint? If so, then it was ablative. Hydrocoat SR should work over oil base ablative, particularly if you have sanded it well, but I would check with Pettit first. If it doesn't come off on your finger then it is the hard type and Hydrocoat should work fine.

I am going to use Hyrocoat SR on my new boat in a few months.

David

I use hydrocoat and it's nice stuff to work with. Easy cleanup and like other ablative paints doesn't require a lot of prep or sanding between coats. I can't comment on effectiveness in SW Florida, but there are several formulations available that include biocides. I think it will go on over pretty much any existing paint, though the opposite is not true.

I haven’t heard much good about water based bottom paints but in South Florida you do want to use a paint with an anti-slime additive. Interlux Micron 66 would be my choice. It is a multi season paint that can be removed from the water without losing effectiveness.

Not knowing what kind of paint is already on the boat may cause a problem. You might want to consider stripping the old paint back to gel coat. If you do strip the paint, that would be a good time to apply a barrier coat to prevent blisters.

All it takes is money!:D

Here is a link to info on Micron 66. It is the most popular ablative bottom paint in Southeast Florida. Trinidad SR is the most popular hard bottom paint. I expect the same is true in Southwest Florida.
Micron 66 Antifouling Boat Paint | Interlux

Back
Top Bottom