Submarine Cables and Pipelines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drb1025

Guru
Vessel Name
Fiddler
Vessel Make
DeFever 46
I was recently anchored in a beautiful spot between two islands wondering why I was the only boat there. I looked around and saw a cable crossing sign on one of the islands. I quickly checked my charts and realized that I had unchecked the optional feature in Coastal Explorer (under vector chart options) for showing Submarine Cables & Pipelines. Realizing my error, I promptly weighed anchor and moved. You may want to check your charting software settings too. Not a problem with raster charts however. Also, looking around at some anchorage locations in Active Captain, I noticed several anchorages in the middle of cable/pipeline areas. I relocated them using the AC website. So beware and don't just take someone else's 5 star rating to mean it actually is an excellent anchorage!

In one of my favorite anchorages, there is a strip of sand surrounded by hard pack coral. Very tempting to set the hook in the sand until you realize it has an 11kV line buried there. Particularly bad with an all chain rode....

MANY people are anchoring in "charted" cable or pipeline areas....and yet no one makes them move even though the boats have been there for years.

I guess it’s not a problem until you snag and break a cable. No defense for that and the insurance probably wouldn’t pay.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom