Lowering KK39 mast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wdeertz

Vessel Name
Bagus
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 52-01
I am in the process of purchasing KK hull 39-33. The seller has only owned the boat for 3 months and is selling due to medical issues. As such he isn’t familiar with all vessel systems and has never lowered the mast. My wife and I intend to use the boat for the Loop and know the mast will lower giving good bridge clearance but aren’t sure of the procedures to lower and the effort level.

I tried to google for info but couldn’t find anything. Anyone know of a YouTube video or other website showing the mast lowering procedures? Can it be done singlehanded?

I dropped ours KK42 by myself when removing the base for repairs. FWIW, I’m 6’0, 175#, and 43yrs old. Two would be nice, as when I finally relased the fore stay it was a bit awkward.

First is to make sure all wires have enough slack or plugs to disconnect.
Second have something on deck to lay mast on/support it.
Third pull side stays, mine couldn’t pivot forward.
Last pull forestay and walk it down to support.

Good luck

I dropped ours KK42 by myself when removing the base for repairs. FWIW, I’m 6’0, 175#, and 43yrs old. Two would be nice, as when I finally relased the fore stay it was a bit awkward.

First is to make sure all wires have enough slack or plugs to disconnect.
Second have something on deck to lay mast on/support it.
Third pull side stays, mine couldn’t pivot forward.
Last pull forestay and walk it down to support.

Good luck

Thanks for the input, this is sort of what I expected. Seems to be a bit more difficult than what I originally anticipated but thankfully we will not need to do it too many times.

I have a kk42 & two of us dropped it. I tied a line to the radar platform support, stood on the pilot house roof & lowered it with someone walking it down after undoing my forestays & sidestays. I had a plastic horse with some padding to lower it to. I then unbolted the spreaders since the starboard one would have hit the rail next to the boatdeck access hatch. Then lowered it onto a padded block of 2-2x6's & a 4x4.

Back
Top Bottom