Hard hat and gloves on markers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
M/V Sherpa
Vessel Make
24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Over the weekend, I saw two ICW channel markers, several miles apart, with a pair of gloves and hard hat nailed to them. I assumed these were placed there in memory of a worker who was killed. I didn't see a name on the hat though. Is my assumption correct?

A hard hat & gloves is marking gang territory like graffiti and tennis shoes thrown over a telephone wire! Beware!
Who knows. Maybe it is a memorial or tribute to somebody. For years we had a deer head mount on a marker locally...until a hurricane blew it off. My guess was it wasn't a tribute to the deer but more than likely somebody's wife requested the damn thing be removed from the living room.

Thanks--I wasn't sure if this was some Coast Guard or Army Core of Engineers custom. In retrospect, I recall seeing more hardhats/gloves nailed to the occasional marker throughout my journeys on the ICW.

Thanks--I wasn't sure if this was some Coast Guard or Army Core of Engineers custom. In retrospect, I recall seeing more hardhats/gloves nailed to the occasional marker throughout my journeys on the ICW.

ACoE doesn't manage markers (to my knowledge). I can't see CG adorning ATONS. I don't believe this is like the 'Miliary Cross' (Boots, gun and Helmet) tribute. I could find no references to this behavior online, which leads me to believe this is not a widespread tradition. This sounds like a local action.

We were told that the hard hats nailed to the markers are generally put there by a departing OIC, (Officer in Charge of an ANT, or Aid to Navigation station), as he moves on or retires from the CG.

Ah, that makes sense! This was bugging me as I passed by the marker with the gloves and hat again last weekend! Thank you!

I passed by one of the markers again yesterday--here are the photos. Thanks again for clearing up the mystery.

Attachments

• 20180915_175026.jpg
    20180915_175026.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 211
  • 20180915_175027.jpg
    20180915_175027.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 207
Every Xmas we have a marker adorned with a Christmas tree. The Harbor master made his displeasure known so in the last few years the culprit has hit back by adding solar lights.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom