shoot thru P 79 transducer installation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dwk

Vessel Name
Patty Ann
Vessel Make
Mainship 34 MK1 1980
I sent our DFF1 Furuno sounding unit to Furuno for repair and now have no depth sounder. I want to add a back up depth sounder that I have (older Furuno 1650) using a shoot thru hull transducer . I'm looing for advice / experience about installing this type of transducer. David

My old P79 worked fine.
The mtg ring has provision for adjusting for deadrise to shoot vertical. Best to test location using a temp set up before adhering the permanent ring.
I believe a plastic bag w water or glycerin to house the xducer will give you a reading for test purposes.
If I'm not mistaken the installation instruction cover temp test set up.

It'll work fine on your boat. We have a glued-in transducer for a back-up depth at the lower helm & it performs flawlessly so a P79 would work even better.

Shawn that's good news. Where on the hull did you place the transducer? Thanks David

P79 is a good option provided that you have a display that will accept NMEA 0183 or NMEA 2000 depth input. its a digital output unlike a fishfinder. You have to choose 0183 or 2K when you purchase. You also have to have a solid fiberglass section of hull under the TD. No coring materials.

P79 is a good option provided that you have a display that will accept NMEA 0183 or NMEA 2000 depth input. its a digital output unlike a fishfinder. You have to choose 0183 or 2K when you purchase. You also have to have a solid fiberglass section of hull under the TD. No coring materials.

Yes P79's come in a smart transducer configuration transmitting depth data nmea 2000 or nmea 0183 but they are most commonly used as a shoot-thru conventional transducer. They work fine with a video sounder too.

Last edited:
David, our transducer location for the shoot-thru is outboard of the port side engine stringer, just ahead of the engine raw water pickup. It would probably work fine most anywhere in the engine room since Mainship had a fairly good fiberglass layup throughout. Just be sure you don't place it in turbulent water behind a thru hull fitting.

Thanks Shawn, I chose that area as well due to the smoothest surface, nothing to cause disturbance and easiest cable routing.

Just make sure you follow the installation instructions meticulously, and don't expect much fish finding functionality, depth readings are very good. We had one on a Furuno system (Networked VX2 blackboxes with FF module) as well. Furuno is very helpful if you need any help.

I sent our DFF1 Furuno sounding unit to Furuno for repair and now have no depth sounder. I want to add a back up depth sounder that I have (older Furuno 1650) using a shoot thru hull transducer . I'm looing for advice / experience about installing this type of transducer. David

I have a related question to the OP's. I also have Furuno Navnet vx2 with a network sounder, 0183. For backup I'd like to install a stand alone, non-networked digital sounder with its own shoot-through transducer. Any favorite products, Furuno or otherwise I should look into?

I have a related question to the OP's. I also have Furuno Navnet vx2 with a network sounder, 0183. For backup I'd like to install a stand alone, non-networked digital sounder with its own shoot-through transducer. Any favorite products, Furuno or otherwise I should look into?

Are you looking merely for depth numbers? If so there is a recent thread here on various options. You need a solid uncored bottom for shoot-throughs.

I'm just looking for depth numbers. The hull isn't cored.

Back
Top Bottom