Need to replace the windlass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave_E

Vessel Name
Agnus Dei
Vessel Make
36' Shin Shing
Hi All,

I've done a lot of upgrades and repair to the good ship since we got her last fall. One thing that has escaped me is the windlass. Nice looking matching blue canvas cover on it, took it off to find a Maxwell HWC-700 on it. Corroded beyond belief. No teeth left on the manual bar thing. It still works, but I wouldn't trust it for anything. Looking for a replacement. Any suggestions, stories, ones to avoid etc. would be helpful.

Thanks - Dave

I have their 3500 dual, good piece of kit.

The maintenance schedule is a bit scary though. However my maintenance guy called them a few weeks ago, and got the "real' what-to-do and it wasn't so bad!

I have a Maxwell HWC2200 and am well pleased with it. That windlass has no trouble hoisting my 80# Manson Supreme attached to an all chain rode nor did it have problems with my 88# Delta (resting comfortably in my basement now). What I was very concerned with when searching for a windlass was runnning out of battery power along with what could be voltage loss in the wiring.

I went with 24VDC and would have even gone with 120VAC if available. So I have dedicated batteries and charger for the windlass which satisfies my needs.

Call Maxwell Marine and talk to one of their Tecs. They will be able to give you information for a direct replacement. They were very helpful last year.

(410) 712-0740

I bet it doesn't need replacing at all and instead just needs a bit of love.

Back
Top Bottom