Prairie 29 Ikarus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kokopelliTim

Vessel Name
boatless
And so I have finally purchased my Prairie Trawler!

She is a 1978, Hull #6 Prairie

She is the vessel formally known as "Sue Marie" from Merritt Island, FL. . Fellow TF member John T owned her and treated her superbly well. He sold her to a guy from Norfolk who got her to Brunswick. GA with a hired captain. Through life circumstances and various problems, he had to sell.

I bought her in GA after much discussion with John back in FL and the new guy.

I had to travel to GA to get her ready to be hauled on a truck up to New Bern, NC (had to haul her as there was doubt if her engine could make it and I had no time to work on her in GA and eventually cruise her up to NC). After 5 hours in GA she was ready to go.

She was just under 15' high and my guy Paul from Triton in Oriental, NC got her up her safely and for about the same price I would have had to pay a captain to bring her up.

So, safely in NC. I had her on the hard for 3 weeks putting her back together, making sure all was safe and sound to splash her well.

Finally on the 27th of June, I had her splashed, very anxious about the potential engine issues. My friend, Buck, and I started her up, put her under load at the dock and she sounded pretty. We ran her for over 30 min, got the temp up, listened, watched her, trying to see, hear anything odd.
Nothing.

So we launched her and cruised the Neuse River for a couple of hours at cruising speed. All the time listening, watching, hoping all was well. As the minutes went by and no problem, we began to relax and enjoy the boat.

WOW. What a spectacular vessel. She responded so well. She felt well. She was fun. I relaxed and had fun, had a good time being at the upper helm and on the water.

We got her into her slip, tied her up and both declared that she was fit and well. A good, solid, trustworthy vessel.

:D

She is my new vessel (after selling my Marine Trader 40 three years ago). She is my vessel to eventually escape to cruise in a few years.
She is a dream come true. I have lusted after a Prairie 29 since 2011!

I shall take the great work John has put into her and make her mine. She needs some cosmetic work (we all do after 40 years!), build some storage, adjust a few things; but really no deep work needed.

I shall add to this thread as I accomplish the work and see what shall happen.

I want to thank the TF people and friends who share their knowledge, errors, learning times and mistakes; encouraging, laughing and sharing their stories.

Attachments

• 20180605_101323.jpg
    20180605_101323.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 188
  • 20180605_102453.jpg
    20180605_102453.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 165
  • bottom2.jpg
    bottom2.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 169
  • dock bow.jpg
    dock bow.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 180
  • dock port.jpg
    dock port.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 180
  • dock stern.jpg
    dock stern.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 186
Congratulations and welcome to the club!!!

Congratulations!!! Hope to see you sometime in Wilmington. Enjoy your new treasure. :dance:

Congratulations, you got a good boat.
When looking for a Prairie 29 two years ago, we looked at the Sue Marie and spent almost half day inspecting her and talking to the owner, John from Merrit Island. I ended up buying the Lucky Dog in Tarpon Springs. Your boat has a rebuilt 4108 engine, a new generator, almost new AC, new tanks etc. The hull was peeled and epoxy coated. I am in the marine business and seriously inspected the boat, she was in perfect shape and should still be.
Enjoy her!

Congratulations! Nice looking pocket trawler. Keep everyone informed of your projects. My list is getting longer. But the time is getting shorter. One of life’s battles I suppose.

Very cool! Welcome to the Prairie Tribe.

Kevin

Thank you for all the kind and encouraging words!

I am slowly cleaning her, moving stuff aboard, finding places for storage, making plans in my head of what things I want to do in the future.

Going through each system to learn and make sure all works (I'm sure the do work, but I've got to learn it all).

Nothing exciting, but I enjoy just being on a boat again an afternoon or two each week.
Nothing compares to messing about in boats :)

Tim

Adding my congratulations on your new toy!! As a owner of a very similar boat in our 28 foot Marben, you excitment is understood. So much in so little! As a couple sized boat you will continually be surprised and pleased.
Our boat had the Perkins 4-154 orginally. From that I am guessing the potential concern may have been with the rear main seal. The reputation on the 4-107.108, and the 154 models is:'If the Main seal is not leaking, it will, 5 hours, 50 hours, 500 hours, but it will!"
We changed ours twice and then pulled the engine and installed a 4-236.

Is your boat equipped with a auto pilot? Asked as we recently installed a ComNav 1420 (I think that is the model). With short/wide hull, this addition has taken our boat to another new exciting level!!

Al-Ketchikan

Welcome and congrats on the boat. I have hull number 7. We really enjoy the boat. IMG_4641.jpg

Congratulations! I know you have been searching for quite some time for the right Prairie. As I and others have mentioned they are sound vessels.
Our Prairie 36 has served us well so far on the Loop as we sit here on the Erie Canal almost to Lake Ontario.
Looking forward to seeing what you do to make her your own.

Thanks FOG!
Reading of your preparation the past few years, seeing your enthusiasm, knowing you are now on your Dream....has spurred me along to do my thing.

I am VERY happy with her and all she shows me each time Im aboard. Only good things!

Jmcleodfl.....indeed they are great vessels. I like your solar setup....might have to learn about how it all works.

So I am still earning the systems and slowly bringing stuff aboard and finding places and planning and sitting and enjoying simply being on a boat again. NOTHING like simply sitting on deck and feeling the boat rock.

WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!! Exciting times ahead!!!

Congratulations if you need any help please feel free to contact me i have been absent from the forum lately life has gotten in the way got married and have other projects bit im still here. I have rebuilt everything on ours the Miss Dot Dee hull 50 I am also in Wilmington.

SailorMike!
Welcome back! YOU dont know how often I looked at your website and lusted after Miss Dot Dee! :)
Ive enjoyed seeing what you have done to her and reading your stories. Thank you.

Now i have my vessel to slowly get together and make mine, and i am truly enjoying it.

It is very good to know you have knowledge I can glean from and that you are right down the road.

Thank you.

next time your down my way let me know and ill give you the 50cent tour. lol
I am in the process of updating that website as we speak to bring it up to the 20th century. I need to take some more pictures as well of the ol girl as things on her are constantly changing.

Michael

SailorMike!
Welcome back! YOU dont know how often I looked at your website and lusted after Miss Dot Dee! :)
Ive enjoyed seeing what you have done to her and reading your stories. Thank you.

Now i have my vessel to slowly get together and make mine, and i am truly enjoying it.

It is very good to know you have knowledge I can glean from and that you are right down the road.

Thank you.

So I survived Hurricane Florence well. A small leak in the deck hatch (of course winds near 100 mph driven into the boat would cause anything to leak). But marina is safe (Bridgeton Harbor). I put her back together, sat and enjoyed the pleasant sunshine and breeze.

Projects I am working on these days:
Replace primary bilge pump
Install sump pump in shower
Bought new 30amp shore power cord and 30 to 50 amp adapter
Need to paint around corners of windows as paint is peeling and I want to cover this before winter (so shall prime these areas as I plan to paint the outside of the house in the Spring).
Still organizing inside what i want for the various areas of the boat (creating her to be my home and cruising vessel for the future)

I need to pause more and just sit and feel the boat and enjoy her...just seems like much to do.

BUT I love her and love her more each time I am on her!

We survived Florence!

Well I figured I would give an update to the Miss Dot Dee. For those of you that dont know or havent been following the local news we live in wrightsville beach nc and were right in line of the direct hit of hurricane florance. We were extreamly lucky as alot of people were not. We never pull our boat for storms as she was purchased new by our old dock master whom lived on her for 8 years before selling to a another gentleman who kept her for 8 years and then to us. She has always stayed at seapath marina. The only damage we received is one shingle mark on the side of the hull that will buff right off. Now some of you are gonna laugh at this next statement but to keep her secure I had her tied down with 37 dock lines I use as many as possible and be cause she is 29 feet in a 55ft slip i put dock lines across the front of the slip to keep debris and other boat from co.ming in if they break loose. Our marina staff now is not so great at getting things back going and would rather stand around and drink beer than get the power back on. Island has had power for over a week and they have it at the marina but still havent got it back on on the docks yet so I have to go down and run my generator every few days to keep things topped off and from getting to hot inside. Hope all is well in prairie land.

Attachments

• 20180918_071310.jpg
    20180918_071310.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 20180918_071254.jpg
    20180918_071254.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 20180911_174915.jpg
    20180911_174915.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 20180910_191102.jpg
    20180910_191102.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 106
Greetings,
Mr. s. Good job! 37 dock lines? I would never laugh at something that worked.

"...stand around and drink beer..." In NC???? Say it isn't so!

200w.gif

Well I figured I would give an update to the Miss Dot Dee. For those of you that dont know or havent been following the local news we live in wrightsville beach nc and were right in line of the direct hit of hurricane florance. We were extreamly lucky as alot of people were not. We never pull our boat for storms as she was purchased new by our old dock master whom lived on her for 8 years before selling to a another gentleman who kept her for 8 years and then to us. She has always stayed at seapath marina. The only damage we received is one shingle mark on the side of the hull that will buff right off. Now some of you are gonna laugh at this next statement but to keep her secure I had her tied down with 37 dock lines I use as many as possible and be cause she is 29 feet in a 55ft slip i put dock lines across the front of the slip to keep debris and other boat from co.ming in if they break loose. Our marina staff now is not so great at getting things back going and would rather stand around and drink beer than get the power back on. Island has had power for over a week and they have it at the marina but still havent got it back on on the docks yet so I have to go down and run my generator every few days to keep things topped off and from getting to hot inside. Hope all is well in prairie land.

As they say when I lived in Wilmington- “Working for their next six pack!”
Your Prairies are beautiful boats! What amazingly efficient cruisers.

yeah working towards a 12pack lol talked to some of the key players and was told there is no timeline for getting the power on its been three weeks so far and looks like it will be 3 more but times are good my generator runs well and we are full of fuel. I gotta get back down and get my canvas on but I'm gonna wait till till I see what the tropics have in store

yeah working towards a 12pack lol talked to some of the key players and was told there is no timeline for getting the power on its been three weeks so far and looks like it will be 3 more but times are good my generator runs well and we are full of fuel. I gotta get back down and get my canvas on but I'm gonna wait till till I see what the tropics have in store

I saw a Prairie 36 online with twin Perkins 4 bangers. How is the maintenance and/or quirks of the Perkins? Was a Lehman guy for 7 years...

Thanks

There are a few Prairie 36 owners on here, feel free to ask away if you need more info.

Your Perkins question was pretty well covered in the other thread where you asked. I have the T6.354 turbos, and IMHO it's over powered. I'd trade for the 4-cyl NA's in a heartbeat.

I have a prairie 29. Perkins 4.236. Hasn’t missed a lick in 4 years of ownership. I have used a bucket of fuel filters though. And have gotten good at bleeding it if I get air in a fuel line. But all in all a pretty simple engine.

I saw a Prairie 36 online with twin Perkins 4 bangers. How is the maintenance and/or quirks of the Perkins? Was a Lehman guy for 7 years...

Thanks

I have twin Perkins six cylinders (6.354) engines on my Prairie 36. I’m not sure what the 4 cylinder Perkins horsepower rating is, but my six’s are NA and are 135 hp each. We are currently doing the Great Loop and I am glad that I have the horsepower I do, especially when going up river and overtaking a tow. Also when conditions dictate I can shut down one engine to save on fuel and maintenance.
I also had a Perkins in my previous boat and feel they are solid and reliable engines. A good source for information, parts, etc. is Trans Atlantic Diesel (TAD).

I have twin Perkins six cylinders (6.354) engines on my Prairie 36. I’m not sure what the 4 cylinder Perkins horsepower rating is, but my six’s are NA and are 135 hp each. We are currently doing the Great Loop and I am glad that I have the horsepower I do, especially when going up river and overtaking a tow. Also when conditions dictate I can shut down one engine to save on fuel and maintenance.
I also had a Perkins in my previous boat and feel they are solid and reliable engines. A good source for information, parts, etc. is Trans Atlantic Diesel (TAD).

The one with the 4’s, the engines were 85hp each I think. I had a 36 MT Sundeck with a single 135 Lehman, so 170 hp would beat its power, but 270 would be great where conditions need it! Thanks for the reply. I think the Prairie 36 is beamier than my old MT 36. Plus, I like the portlights over the sliders of the MT. May visit the P36 that is for sale though our timing is not yet right.

So its been a good winter of work on the boat.

Built a bookcase on the starboard side of the vberth. If Im going to live aboard, I need books and special stuff to make it all my home.

Cleaned the carpet

Had to stop a leak in the hatch in the vberth. So on a warm day, I resealed the hatch and also bought new lexan "glass" to replace the painted over glass panel. Leak is gone and more light. A nice days work.

Im getting the bimini sewed (several storms in the fall brought some tears in the fabric). Im also having privacy curtains sewed for the bimini and also for the awning in the aft area.

I bought a used Walker Bay 10 hard dinghy. A good buy on Craigslist. So I cleaned her and am in the process of buying the oars, oarlocks and figuring out the method of attaching to the boat.

Learning storage (where I want stuff, building shelves and getting appropriate sized containers for the areas)

Learning the various electronic systems and how they can best help me.

I am in the process of registering my Garmin products in my name and also with Active captain. Ought to work well.
https://theboatgalley.com/active-captain-garmin-charts-without-wifi-chartplotter/
Is a link to clearly describe how to combine the two.

A full winter time.

I have plans for the Spring (plan to paint the entire outside of the boat, except the hull.) A major move on my part.

It is fun, exciting, plenty of time to think and ponder what i need to do. And I still enjoy my Prairie each day.

A short catchup on my winter on my vessel.

Tim

K-Tim:

Nice update!

Please let us know how you like that Walker Bay 10 after you have used her a few times. Are you going solely with oars? We have been looking for a light dinghy and the Walker Bay keeps rising to the top of our list.

Cheers,
Pea

I looked long and hard at what type of dinghy I wanted. The Walker Bay had the size, look, and stability I desired.

I plan to put a sail rig on her (probably build it myself) to satisfy the sailing bug I always have! I began as a sailor and still love sailing immensely. I also enjoy the size, layouts and upper helms of trawlers!

Although it came with a motor mount; I plan on using oars predominantly until I get too old.....although there is a lady who lives aboard here and anchors out who still at near 80 yrs old uses her oars to row back and forth to land at least once a day in all weather.

I will let you know what i think once I get her in the water (when it gets warm) and row around.

Tim

Tim,
Found your prairie post... Congrats on the somewhat recent purchase! If we do end up making it happen with a prairie ourselves I will be sure to ask you more questions. Good luck with the rest of your work.

Pete

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom