NautiBeaver to the north.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nautibeaver

Vessel Name
NautiBeaver
Vessel Make
Nordlund 68'
Boat loaded and on the water by 5am, took inside route through deception pass (ebb current was a bit fast for my liking but we did fine), boat hit new speed record at 24knots. Cleared customs at bedwell. Worked well, 15m wait for someone to pick up phone from the customs office took longer than the questions.

Now passing Ganges on our way to Nanaimo. Besides some wind waves and currents making them steep (20-25knot wind) trip was easy going. IMG_4454.jpg

View attachment 77512

Now passing Ganges on our way to Nanaimo. Besides some wind waves and currents making them steep (20-25knot wind) trip was easy going.

I hope the winds are less tomorrow going North from Nanaimo. It can be really rough with the wrong conditions.

Better this morning and Campbell river looks to be improving by the hour according to windy. 11knts now. Going to try to catch a few white kings! Stayed in boho harbor last night. Very cool anchorage. Some pics of the boys and I kayaking. IMG_7038.jpgIMG_7030.jpgIMG_7043.jpgIMG_7033.jpg

Better this morning and Campbell river looks to be improving by the hour according to windy. 11knts now. Going to try to catch a few white kings! Stayed in boho harbor last night. Very cool anchorage. Some pics of the boys and I kayaking. View attachment 77554View attachment 77555View attachment 77556View attachment 77557

Boho bay is one of the gems of the coast. Good holding, especially if the NW is blowing, as it was for you. Good prawn fishing within sight of the anchorage. Did you get to shore on Jedediah? A very interesting Marine Park with good walking trails and easy access, esp from your Kayaks.
Keep the pictures coming.

It was a gem for sure. No, we made it from Everett to BoHo, in 15.5 hours. So got settled in anchor around 7:30-8pm. Boys were couped up all day, so figured they needed a little exercise. I needed a drink, so it was a win win.

Just a quick heads-up...the beavers get more nauti the further north you go :D

(Saw a beaver cruising around our marina a few weeks back...weird!)

I would think Boho Bay would be small for a 68’ boat.
Gem? Boho Bay was great only because we bucked 5’ seas for hours in our then 25’ boat. I had a nice row in my little rowing dinghy though.

Everett to Boho is a long day. No wonder you needed a drink. We're sitting in sunny 70 degree Ketchikan after the cold and wet of BC as we came up. A welcome change and good to be back in AK.
________
Ken Hatt Trick

Just a quick heads-up...the beavers get more nauti the further north you go :D

(Saw a beaver cruising around our marina a few weeks back...weird!)

I’ll keep my eyes [emoji102] out for them. As long as I don’t see to many Nauti Ducks!!

87 in Campbell river yesterday. We caught some small coho (their first salmon ever) got the rust off the down riggers. Caught 8, they had fun, I keep reminding them they get much bigger!

IMG_7055.jpg

Left this morning early and slowly motored to hit Seymore Narrows near slack. No power at dock (breaker was off and no electricians available Sunday at 4pm). Stayed in discovery harbor marina. Came across some some porpoise’s for a neat view.

IMG_7066.jpgIMG_7062.jpg

Now going to make our way to Port McNiell today.

33C (91F) here today and supposed to be 35C (95F) tomorrow. Next week back to normal; cold and raining.

Day 4
Left port mcniell at 6am. 6-7ft seas and 7-8 seconds. Little lumpy. Made it to rivers inlet and caught a nice 18lbs fish. Boated a bunch of small Kings. Not bad for 3 hours and new place I have never fished. It is amazing once you can read your charts, fish always seem to be in similar areas. Stayed the night in Duncanby lodge. Had a great meal and good peaceful evening: Tomorrow some more fishing and see where we end up. If fishing is good we will stay near by otherwise we continue north. Did see a humpback today.
IMG_7079.jpgIMG_7081.jpgIMG_7089.jpgIMG_7094.JPGIMG_7098.jpgIMG_7101.jpg

Day 5

Woke up early, 5:15 departure to hit the fishing tide. Fishing was great. Actually it was nothing short of incredible. I actually weight my fish. I have gone fishing with many of people especially guides, and caught many of 25-30lb kings. I weight my fish. I find it incredible to have people guess their weight. Most people guess 5-8lbs over what it actually is. Using a digital scale we caught our limits of Kong’s. 8@ 20lb -25lb spring chinook. Oldest son owns the two biggest! Lots of Great morning. Foggy and 3 ft swell but 10-15lb fish. Probably caught (released most) 25-30 kings on 5-6 hours fishing. Hard to beat that at this time of year, with that big of fish.

Food:Had some great ham, bacon, eggs, cheese, English muffins for breakfast. Made some a salmon Belly, jalapeño, cucumber, red pepper, cream cheese sushi roll, and prepped a ceviche, for snacks.

Cooked up some garlic chicken pasta for the main meal at lunch while my son steamed us to Codeville lagoon. Fist time here. It sure is a beautiful anchorage. Only 3 boats. Got there at 6pm, dropped the dingy and dropped 3 shrimp pots (filled with special Puget sound bait cocktail I make and a little salmon) near the entrance and 4 crab traps (filled with lots of salmon) near the bay where the trail is.

The boys played on the Kayaks and paddle boards for a bit and we had some smoked chicken and salad for dinner.

Lots of eagles and a fawn/deer making noise in the dense Forrest. Seen 4-5 hump back whales already, a few otters as well. Sure love the call of the eagles.

Weather has been pretty incredible as well. Sunny, mid 60s to 70s, mostly sunny, with some fog. No rain. Yet.....

Day like this are what drive me. Long day, but hope my sons remember it for ever.
IMG_7105.jpgIMG_7111.jpgIMG_7113.jpgIMG_7119.jpgIMG_7122.jpgIMG_7132.jpgIMG_7148.jpgIMG_7153.jpgIMG_7157.jpg

Day 6

Took a walk on the trail to see sagar lake. What a view. Boys drove the dingy around and we took a breather this morning. 8am wake up, breakfast of ham, eggs, hash browns and lemon poppy seed cake.

Pulled the anchor and went to go grab pots. Caught 8 good sized crab and about 150 shrimp. Good enough for dinner.

Motored up finlayson channel and cut into the narrow passage of “klemtu passage”.

Weather again held on, cloudy no rain and 60 degrees.

Made a great meal. Shrimp, salmon bellies, crab, sausage, potatoes in a boil, using the instapot in a pressure cooking. Once pressure built, it was 6 minutes.

Arrived at Khutze Inlet. A favorite anchorage of mine. What a view!! But tough anchorage. Had a few other boats there. Updated Canadian maps, but were different than raster and wrong. Saw some depth numbers I did not like at all. I ended up anchored just south of the Khutze river entrance.

Not the best of Anchorage’s, as far as holding power, but one of the best as far as views.

IMG_7207.jpgIMG_7174.jpg

Day 7
Took the boys on the dingy up the river. Years ago, we found a channel 20-30 feet wide and ran it like a race track in the dingy. Floods must have changed things. Could not make it up very far this time. Ran the drone but....ran out of battery and struggled to make it back to the boat. I crashed landed it on the boat in the nick of time only breaking the props.IMG_7183.jpgIMG_7188.jpgIMG_7189.jpg

Left Khutze inlet around 1130. Fished the hump where just before you leave the inlet. We have caught a large halibut here 4 years ago.

IMG_3905.jpg

But nothing this year.

We ate some left overs for breakfast and cereal. For lunch we deep fat fried some corn dogs. Taste like they were straight from the fair.

Stopped by butedale on the way. Cool place and seems like a place you have to stop by.

IMG_7193.jpgIMG_7197.jpg

Headed up the channel. Fished the waterman point before we entered into Greenville channel. Picked up another king in first 10m.

I waved as you went by the entrance to Douglas Channel, but I guess you didn't see me 60 or so miles away at the head :D

I looked for you ;).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom