Anchor Snubber

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arthurc

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Bear
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 54
Hi All,
I haven’t yet purchased or made an anchor snubber but found this on the boat. I’m assuming this is a version of one? If so should I use it or go with something different?

Attachments

• 721C1122-67AF-4A6E-AC8D-965DE7AC9BF0.jpg
    721C1122-67AF-4A6E-AC8D-965DE7AC9BF0.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 119
Hell of a spring ya got there, not sure what that might be used for.

That could bang up the side of a boat pretty easily. I think there might be better options out there if that is actually a snubber or part of.

Those kind of compression springs in a tension assembly tend to be noisy, too, as the tension members slide over each other. And they bottom out hard. There might be some use for it, but I wouldn't use it at the dock. Or at anchor either, for that matter.

I`m thinking its too big for a snubber - that's a huge spring - nearly the size of an auto suspension spring - the force to compress that would pull most anchors.

we dont know the strength of the spring....

it can be deployed underwater between lengths of line to minimize noise and potential damage....

a single unit aboard a boat, probably not used with dock lines unless the PO had a strange tie up.

I would try it after a few tests to see what its capabilities are.....

I've seen a similar snubber, but I don't think it was quite as large. I may have found it in the piles or extraneous boat stuff my Dad had.

That certainly is an anchor snubber I've seen several of those not sure how it works worth is noisy. You already own it so why don't you try it

I wouldn't use it on my boat. It has the capacity to do cosmetic damage to anything it touches, and it's energy absorbing ability is pretty limited, compared to a proper length of nylon line.

I think the main purpose of the design is to sell for a large sum of money.

I've seen those used at my old club. The marina was subject to some serious washes from tug boats and harbour ferries. Those springs saved the boats, lines, and docks from the shock of running out of travel.

By the time I joined a lot of people, including me, were using the rubber snubbers.

And of course the club got some serious wave breaks and attenuators.

But for many years the springs worked.

Never saw them used as anchor snubbers though.

Last edited:
Its the sort of spring REAL trawlers have in their setup when dragging nets and parravanes.

For an anchor snubber use nylon rope with chain hook or knot of choice.

These are very common in the Med. Almost all marinas operate stern-to mooring with boats side-by-side and no finger jetties. Almost all boats in my local marina have them on the stern lines. They are available in a range of sizes to suit the size of boat. The laid mooring lines/bow lines are generally anchored by chains which also have a bit of give which reduces the pressure on the cleats.

For anchoring stretch in the snubber is the requirement for the smooth noiseless ride

Nylon like stretching , BUT it takes 10% or 15% of the nylons breaking strength.

So the first snubber should be long , but not long enough to get in the prop,and probably 3/8 nylon to start.

This will give the smoothest ride , but should be changed for larger when the anchor chain or become taught enough to line rise clear of the water and jerk the boat.

Not very often in a protected anchorage .

Chafe is the thin line hassle,, rubber slip on guards work fine.

They are used for dock ties, not snub lines for the reasons stated.

The PO left a snubber setup on board. It has a plate with a chain slot and 2 shackles. The lines from the shackles each have a black mooring snubber on them. The black snubber provides quite a bit of stretch. So far it seems to work pretty well.

That is a stout unit, but offers precious little in the way of travel, maybe a few inches? Stretchy rope much better IMO.
Might help if your rode is chain, could be added inline with a couple of shackles, and sent out a ways to keep it away from the boat.

I have never seen one of these used on an anchor rode and can’t imagine why anyone would want to use one in this way.

We need a volunteer to attach the spring to a ronka and show up to next years TFest[emoji36]

Looks like the spring we usta have on the OB steering cable.

This spring would be for the mother of all outboards.

With just a bit of imagination it would make a great piece of exercise equipment.

Greetings,

"With just a bit of imagination it would make a great....shoe rack." There, fixed it for ya' Mr. hm....

200w.gif

I would likely hurt either myself or the boat with that piece of equipment and I would likely leave it in the garage just to take out and look at from time to time.

Thanks RT, just when I had gotten over it.

I have one on the porch swing

Back
Top Bottom