Lehman 120 wont start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TJM

Vessel Name
Harmony
Vessel Make
1982 41' President
We went to go for a short drive today and my port engine will start.
Ignition switch seems to be fine. The buzzer does not sound when I turn the key though. This would be the alarm for low oil pressure or high engine temperature.
Could a faulty sensor prevent the engine from starting ?
I swapped out the buzzer from the starboard engine and no change.

How do I check the sending units ? Are they all Normally closed ?

A bit confusing...no, a faulty sensor will not inhibit start. Does it crank?

Make sure its in neutral, THAT will inhibit a start.

If you are not getting any sounds you are not connecting - check the "ignition" switch first.

Still don't know if it cranks...

No cranking at all.
Ignition switches appear the same.
My gage needles jump when I turn the key like the other engine does.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem on one of mine last year. Someone had installed a fuse in the ignition circuit and it had blown. Spoke to Brian at ADC and he said it was not factory. Maybe you have one, I just started tracing the wiring and found the fuse.

You need to see if your starter is getting the signal to start. On the solenoid there is a small wire going to a post sometimes marked with an 'S'. When the key is turned to the start position, that post should have 12 volts. It energizes the solenoid to connect the starter to the battery cable.

To trouble shoot the starter, touch a heavy metal object between the two heavy posts on the solenoid. There will be some sparks. One post has the battery cable connected and the other post connects to the starter motor, either with a short cable or a copper tab that disappears into the starter. If the starter won't energize when jumping the solenoid it's probably bad. Most auto parts stores will test a starter for free.

Attachments

• starter_operation.jpg
    starter_operation.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 43
Last time this happend to me it was as stated already the neutral safety. Try pushing start hold it down while wiggleing the shifter back and fort a bit around the neutral position and see if it kicks over. The switch is easy to replace but you can get by with the wiggle of the shifter to start if in a bind - providing that’s the issue.

Wiggle first, then check all the battery connections, especially the grounds. Then if the connections are all good, do RT's and other's solenoid check.

My guess is if its dead, its the "ignition" switch or the connections.

"if you can't fix it with an hammer, its an electrical problem."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom