Southwest Florida Hurricane Plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdud133

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Anegada da Vida
Vessel Make
1979 Mainship 34 mk1
This will be my first hurricane season in southwest Florida. I am in Burnt Store Marina but the boat is too heavy to haul out here. My insurance requires a severe weather plan. What do boaters in this area do? Any suggestions would be great.

I’m leaving my boat at the dock this season. My new insurance plan will be to secure the boat with extra lines, remove any exterior items that could fly away or cause damage, remove the jib, etc.

Last year I kept the boat at FF’s protected dock on the Okechobee waterway behind a lock, and the center of Irma passed within 20 miles of my location. I think the winds were over 70mph at my boat but no damage. I’m retired this summer and planning on using the boat more so hope I can secure it in place this time. Plus surely the west coast of Florida won’t get another direct hit this year right? Right ? [emoji15]

The area from Port Charlotte to Cape Coral doesn't have enough boat haulouts, much less land storage to pull your boat out if a hurricane is pending. So you essentially have to leave it in place.

A cardude noted, double up your lines, paying attention to surge which could hit 10' in this area and there are few floating docks so maybe cross the second set of lines to take the surge and make the first set of lines smaller and sacrificial. Remove all canvas and secure stuff below.

I helped a friend secure his 45' trawler before Irene hit Oriental with 80+ mph winds and 9' surge. It came through without a scratch because all dock lines were at least 20' long and between that and line stretch it didn't get a scratch on it. Many other boats were pushed up against the pilings and suffered significant rub rail damage.

My neighbors here in Punta Gorda have a fatalistic view: do your best to prepare and keep your insurance up to date.

David

I’m leaving my boat at the dock this season. My new insurance plan will be to secure the boat with extra lines, remove any exterior items that could fly away or cause damage, remove the jib, etc.

Last year I kept the boat at FF’s protected dock on the Okechobee waterway behind a lock, and the center of Irma passed within 20 miles of my location. I think the winds were over 70mph at my boat but no damage. I’m retired this summer and planning on using the boat more so hope I can secure it in place this time. Plus surely the west coast of Florida won’t get another direct hit this year right? Right ? [emoji15]

Statistics would say no hit this year but then again what is a statistic right?

Statistics would say no hit this year but then again what is a statistic right?

I was here last year and every year for like 7 years and mine was out at JR marine in placita right across from you and easy to get hauled out!!

My insurance company (Atlass, underwritter Lloyd’s) says that the situation producing the least number of claims during named storms are vessels attended behind the owners residence. Second least number of claims comes from the vessel being tied down on the hard. Damage can occur with either, but the claim amount is less than other options, so they say. If you live in a mandatory evacuation zone, you may not be able to attend to your vessel after the evac notice has been issued. Welcome to FL.

Larry, I think I might just come raft up to next you if a hurricane comes, or maybe anchor out in that turn-around basin next to you. [emoji51]

You have two haul out yards next to each other at South Gulf Cove.
http://safecoveinc.com
Burnt Store is very protected. Everyone talks about storm surge. But here on the Florida west coast it is more about the storm pulling ALL the water out as it did during Irma and Charlie 2004. So tie your lines accordingly.

... My insurance requires a severe weather plan. What do boaters in this area do? Any suggestions would be great.

We don't have seasonal restrictions and can cruise as far south as the Turks and Caicos. Here's a copy of out hurricane plan that we have submitted to our insurance company with no comments back from them.

Hurricane Plan for the m/v Hobo

Larry M.../Lena B...
August 201.

If we are in an area that is prone to hurricanes or cyclones:

We obtain our weather information from NOAA, Buoyweather (a fee subscription weather service), and local sources. NOAA and Buoyweather data are accessed daily using the SSB radio and pactor modem or via the internet. (We have email on the vessel.) We also obtain local forecasts daily via various cruiser SSB nets. We plot storm tracks.

If we are unable to run and/or avoid a storm, vessel preparations would vary with location and would include (in order of preference): 1) Haul out in a secure boat yard and remove all exterior canvas and attachments. 2) Go far up a river and secure the boat with anchors and lines to shore. 3) Secure the boat in the most protected harbor or marina we can find.

We don't have seasonal restrictions and can cruise as far south as the Turks and Caicos. Here's a copy of out hurricane plan that we have submitted to our insurance company with no comments back from them.

Hurricane Plan for the m/v Hobo

Larry M.../Lena B...
August 201.

If we are in an area that is prone to hurricanes or cyclones:

We obtain our weather information from NOAA, Buoyweather (a fee subscription weather service), and local sources. NOAA and Buoyweather data are accessed daily using the SSB radio and pactor modem or via the internet. (We have email on the vessel.) We also obtain local forecasts daily via various cruiser SSB nets. We plot storm tracks.

If we are unable to run and/or avoid a storm, vessel preparations would vary with location and would include (in order of preference): 1) Haul out in a secure boat yard and remove all exterior canvas and attachments. 2) Go far up a river and secure the boat with anchors and lines to shore. 3) Secure the boat in the most protected harbor or marina we can find.

Wifey B: And your plan has been good for 1900 years. ;)

Thing is people think hurricane plans must be solutions. Nope. Just this is what I'll consider but I might not do anything. I'm not that worried if home in Fort Lauderdale as we have the boats secured in good slips. Now if we're all playing around in TX or LA or in the Virgin Islands then all we can do is tie somewhere the best we can and get the h... out of there ourselves. Boat at risk, but Wifey B safe and secure. :)

Yes, I think you are right. A hurricane plan is not a fail safe solution to protect your boat in a hurricane. The insurance company is just asking you to think about what you would do with a pending hurricane and write it down.

Mine was a little more anal. When I said I had my boat on the hard with all canvas removed and hurricane tie downs in place, they wanted to know the base elevation of the yard. That was a reasonable question.

FWIW I remember Irene in NC some years ago. The surge was about 9'. The guys at Sailcraft one of the haulout yards in Oriental actually saw boats on the hard begin to float in the middle of Irene.

And further FWIW the drop in water levels in the Punta Gorda area during Irma was due to the track that Irma took. If the track were to the west of Charlotte Harbor, the water levels would have been pushed up, not down.

David

I am on a canal in PGI. This will be my 1st year with a boat. I have helped my friends prepare in the past. Once it becomes a named storm we are permitted to tie the boats in the middle of the canals. We drop a hook and run lines to each shore. I'm not sure you could do this in the main canal, by the side canals it's permitted. So far, all boats have come thru with no damage.

After living on the Caloosahtchee for 25 years, my advice is past the lock, Owl Creek, or heavily tied in the middle of a canal up river. The problem with the river is that the water backs up against the lock and has no where to go but up and over the banks. I’ve seen the river where except for the channel, you could walk across it, and others where my house was an island. I understand there are now a couple new hurricane resistant places on FTM Beach now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom