caulking between hull and deck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Make
Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Hi all, I have a fairly thick bead of caulking around my cockpit where the deck meets the top of the hull. There is some mold growing in the caulk and I would like to remove the old caulking and replace it.

Any suggestions on what type of material I should use? Preferably I'd like something more resistant to mold and mildew.

Thanks!
Mike

Greetings,
Mr. M. IF mold is the only issue and the caulk is otherwise in good shape, I'd leave it. You may have to initiate a regime of preventative cleaning but that's a lot easier than re-caulking IMO.

The fact that you do have mold growth suggests you have created a condition where mold is happy to grow. Is the boat stored with a cover or under cover? Perhaps increase ventilation...

Last edited:
The hull/deck joint is one spot where 5200 works well.

You are only seeing the edge of the joint.

Spray the area , wash it and forgetaboutit.

I agree with RT... To clean moldy caulk use Concrobium wipes I get them from Amazon I am sure walmart has them but I just do not like going in the place

I agree with RT... To clean moldy caulk use Concrobium wipes I get them from Amazon I am sure walmart has them but I just do not like going in the place

I bought the boat this way, and the mold was pretty bad. I hit it with various highly-rated mold/mildew cleaners and they worked pretty well. However, there are still stains that will never go away.

I got a quote for $300 for a guy to remove the old caulk and replace with new. However, I don't know what I want to replace it with.

The caulk isn't performing any mechanical task. It's purely cosmetic.

Back
Top Bottom