Seeking info on Southern States/Gulf coast.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lobstah

Vessel Name
T/T Whistful
Vessel Make
Boat US 12' Inflatable
By way of introduction, my wife and I currently live in New England, and are starting to make plans for the "next phase" of our lives as we are both in our late 50s.

We owned a Marine Trader 34' aft cabin trawer for 8yrs during the 90's, and had her slipped on the Piscataqua River in Portsmouth N.H., and currently own a motorhome which we travel around the Northeast with on vacas and long weekends.

We will be selling our stick house within the next year or two (hopefully), and are starting to zero in on what happens after that.* Current thoughts are buying a trawer and keeping her down South, and storing the motorhome up North.

We are looking at something in the 40-43' range...a friend of ours had a 43' Albin Sundeck which we thought was a great boat, so definetly looking at the sundeck designs.

We know nothing of the Gulf Coast, and are wondering what the more "economical" areas are for seasonal slips, allowing that "economical" and "boats" should not usually be used in the same sentence :)

Also, we would appreciate a rough idea of what live-aboards in the area typically budget for a year.* We have that info from experience with the motorhome, but not with a boat, though many things such as insurance, maintenance, etc will be similar (it's amazing how similar the motorhome is to the trawler in terms of systems).

Thanks in advance for any and all help...boat suggestions are welcome too.

Jim

Hey Jim
Welcome aboard!
I can offer an idea on a few Gulf Coast regions. We have a 42' Sundeck and have kept a slip in Biloxi over the summer. The admiral handles the financials but I am pretty sure that it runs around $275 per month including water and electric. Fixed conrete pier in a premium location.
Our permanent slip is on the northshore of Lake Ponchatrain several miles up a river. I believe it is around $200 PLUS electricity.
Feel free to PM me for more details.
And I'm sure you already know- but it stays HOT down here during the summer!!

Lobstah, the Gulf Coast covers a large area.* Each area has its own charms.* I have never lived aboard full time, have kept boats on the Gulf Coast for many years.* We were 11 years at Orange Beach, AL between Pensacola and Gulf Shores.* Great fishing which was our objective.* For cruising and year 'round, I personally think the SW coast of Florida is the best for living aboard.* Anywhere from the Marco/Naples/Ft. Myers area through Charlotte Harbor to St. Pete and Clearwater.* There are live aboards all through there.* You could probably find what you are looking for in one of those areas.*

It will be interesting in following along on your quest.* I hope you will keep us updated.* Sorry, I don't have live aboard cost info, but others probably will.

Thanks for the info.* I lived in Huntsville, Al for a year in '73, so I get the heat part.* That's why we'd be keeping our motorhome up North for the Apr-Oct stint, or at least that's near the top of the "plans" lists.

Slips in this area, for a 40-43' boat run between $6k-$8k for May-Oct, and we figured that there were many more marinas down there and that prices might be more moderate.* I'm sure one can spend much much more than that, but good to know those options are available.

Friends of ours have their Monk 36' hauled every spring and kept dry until Oct for $250 total, which we thought was amazing.

Jim

Jim, We currently live aboard in Fort Myers Beach. The marinas along the SW Florida coast almost all charge additional fees of up to $100.00 per month after dockage for live aboards. Many marinas don't allow it. So you will need to do your research if you would like to relocate here. The Florida panhandle and the Gulf coast westward are right in the bulls eye during hurricane season, as is most of the West Florida coast. Once a storm gets into the Gulf it has no place to go but make landfall. Insurance to keep a boat here year round will be much more expensive than you are used to. Having said all of this, one of our favorite spots to live has been Beaufort, South Carolina. Very inexpensive, boater friendly, and less prone to storms. Our insurance was also much less. The weather is pretty nice year round, it does get a little cold in the winter but nothing to get excited about. Good luck to you. Chuck

Thanks for the info, Chuck.

We would actually consider having her hauled for Apr-Oct...not sure yet.* We'd likely be spending that time up North where it's a bit cooler ;)

Insurance on our motorhome runs about $1400/yr.* I forget what I paid for Boat U.S. insurance when we had Whistful...but I'm sure it's gone up a lot since then.

Jim

Do people tend to do a lot of cruising during the winter months?...or do folks mostly stay put? We like to explore...part of the fun of cruising. We rarely go back to the same place twice with our motorhome, unless it's special in some way and we really enjoyed the area. There's just so much to see and do.

Jim

Lobstah wrote:Slips in this area, for a 40-43' boat run between $6k-$8k for May-Oct, and we figured that there were many more marinas down there and that prices might be more moderate.* I'm sure one can spend much much more than that, but good to know those options are available.
Jim

Jim, we're berth at Halifax Harbor in downtown Daytona Beach...and out annual total for being fulltime liveaboards is about $8K, which includes electricity, water, free pumpouts on a regular schedule at our slip, and cable TV...* We paid a bit more in SW FL... The difference in the weather is not great...though it can be a little cooler here in the winter...by a couple of degrees.* You'd probably walk around in a T-shirt while we complain about the cold....
biggrin.gif
* Also, I feel that HHM is a very good hurricane hole, even though this area doesn't seem to attract them...

We especially like the area along the cost from Mobile Bay to Clearwater it is lightly developed and has an easy going atmosphere.
Steve W.

Depending on your personal requirements and how well the boat is outfitted it is possible to cruise , no marina slip on the west coast of FL.

This is for sure the lowest cost , although mail will require a service. FMCA or others work fine at $5.00 a month plus postage .

BUT? Can you stand being "trapped " aboard for 5 months?

For us cruising is a delight , but for your first adventure a mooring in Ft Myers Beach or Marathon if you like the Atlantic side is about $300 a month , might work out best.

TEACH your bride to row a solid dink , or get an electric motor for a condom unrowable boat , so she will not feel TRAPPED aboard!!!

Guru,
I agree...trapped is not good ;) And at least initially, we'll likely have a boxer with us, and I did the "morning/evening doggy dinghy duty" on our last boat...I'm a bit older now ;), and I could do without that, but certianly don't mind doing it sometimes. So I suspect we may end up with a "mix".

Jim

Charles,
That sounds like quite a trip you're on...and that's actually more the way we approach things. We like to explore and visit net places. That's one of the reasons we're planning on the boat down south and the RV up north...both very "moveable" :)

Jim

Charles,
Funny you mention that. The only thing we have left from our previous trawler years is our dinghy, which is a 12' Boat US with a 15hp Evinrude on it. It gets right up on plane and scoots along very well. I've looked at it several times since I did a "restoration" on it and thought I should sell it...now we're glad I didn't ;)

Jim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom