Uscg rescue training

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gabe n Em

Guru
Vessel Name
Volans
Vessel Make
2001 PDQ MV 32
Let's see if this video posts

We trained for a helicopter rescue at work yesterday and today. A lot of what we do is offshore (diving, scientific deployments, etc). I thought I'd share a little with the group in case you're ever in such a situation (hopefully not! !!)

Interesting bits i learned:
turn your radar off,
lower anything (mast, antenna ) that is easy to do before they arrive (not vital)
They only have an incredibly short amount of time on site (as little add 6 minutes! !!) Depending on how far offshore you are
Wear full foulie gear including a dive mask or sunglasses - the rotor wash kicks up a ton of water

They'll talk you through everything via vhf on their way out and they have a rescue swimmer who can take care of it. They're a very impressive team.

No luck. You get photos until i get to my computer tomorrow am

Attachments

• 20180404_095041.jpg
    20180404_095041.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 86
Yes, they send down a weighted bag with a plastic line (no static charge) for you to guide the basket onto deck. While there can be a significant charge, the rescue swimmer said he has grabbed it without to much pain. It is weather dependent and in bright sunny days, like today was, static wasn't as much of an issue.

I have seen a foot long static charge knock the on deck receiver on their butt....

bright sunny days with low humidity are the worst, just like shuffling your feet on your home carpet.

not fatal but suprising.... usually the aircrew will try and dip the basket or litter to remove the static charge.

one of the biggest mistakes of vessels is to focus on the hoist and wander off course that the helo requests.....making the hoist much more demanding.

Always awesome to be under a low altitude hover. Thanks for posting that. And, I'll take ocean spray over dirt.:thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom